Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a gmc pickup w/305 and a 4speed auto trans in it. I would like to know since i have replaced the old carb. with a edelbrock carb and intake do i have to do something to the computer under the glove box or just unhook it to make it shift correctly

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm assuming your tranny is a 700R4. If this is the case you will need a lock up kit which you can get from Painless and other tranny companies. You should also make sure that your kickdown cable is correctly adjusted or you'll burn out your tranny.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well I have a 700r4 in the car pictured on my photo album here. All that I had to do was hook a 12v source and Ground to the 2 wires that activate the O/D (T/C) lockup. It should be on the left front corner of the trans. I believe it is the terminals (marked on the connector) A and D. It shouldn't be polarity sensitive. I just hooked mine to a toggle switch and leave it on all the time and it works fine. Another option is to wire it through a vacuum switch off of direct manifold vacuum, so that it will supply 12v or ground (however you decide to wire it) when you level out at cruise speed on the interstate and will kickout when you push down on the gas pedal and the vacuum starts to drop in the manifold. And As far as the "kick down cable" it is actually a T/V cable(throttle valve) and if this isn't adjusted correctly IT WILL BURN YOUR TRANSMISSION UP!!!!! :nono: The Adjustment is very simple if you have all the correct linkage & brackets. On the end of the cable where it goes through the bracket there is a clip or button that you push up and it releases the cable housing. You then pull the cable housing back as far as it will easily pull you shouldn't have to force it if it has been released properly. Then go inside the truck and press the accelerator pedal to the floor. Then go back under the hood and push the lock back down. If you aren't sure about the bracket and linkage set up you should contact edelbrock they can sell you exactly what you need. It is important that you get that right. linkage and brackets are way cheaper than a trans!!!!Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks guys i seen the brackets for the trans cable on the edelbrock site. Sounds like its not to much work to put a lockup kit for the trans either. thanks again for all your posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts