Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 grand prix v8 an I'm having problems!! When I start it smoke comes out the exhaust for a while then it stops. Also, when I drive for a period of time a tickin noise starts an the more I accelerate the louder it becomes. It did this for a while because I was in the middle of a traffic jam an it eventually started smoking so I pulled over an cut the car off. I put antifreeze in an tried to start it up an I guess it was too hot at the time because it wouldent start but after a while it eventually started but smoked again when I stopped at a light. This is a lot going on an I need help!

·
Administrator
8,211 Posts
If you added coolant, then it has a head gasket problem or a cracked head or block. That is why the antifreeze is disappearing and you see white smoke. Then the engine overheats and the oil thins out, and lifters start making noise and I am sure the engine prolly starts to knock from detonation caused by overheating.
You arent seeing coolant leaking on the ground ....right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly!! So the fix to this would be what? Buying a new engine or is this something that can be fixed without buying a new engine

·
Banned
385 Posts
The other thing to check is to temporarily disconnect the vacuum modulator and see if the smoking stops.

P.S. 85 means it has the chevy engine, so if it is in fact a coolant leak then it will be easy to drop in a replacement engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts