Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys I have a 1986 350 small block that is hooked up to my m21 muncie
I believe it is a one piece rear main seal; I have a centerforce dual friction clutch and new flywheel on the 355 engine. i dont know the exact size of the flywheel currently on the car.

I am going to replace the 355 with a zz383 crate motor that comes with an automatic tranny flywheel and flexplate new from GM.
here is the link to the crate engine.
Chevrolet Performance 12498772 Chevrolet Performance 383ci/425HP ZZ383 Engine

I know i cant use the flywheel that comes with the crate engine. (for an automatic) Will I be able to just to take off my old flywheel from the 355 and put it on the zz383?

I will also just use my regular GM HEI distributor and Hooker headers that I had on the 355. i am also going to reuse my old edelbrock water pump on the new 383.
Is there anything I'm missing. i dont know if i would need a special flywheel for the new zz838; and i want to be sure i can reuse my old 350 edelbrock waterpump. my old starter?

any other special tips/tricks when installing the GM zz383

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is what GM says; can anyone shed some light.

ke all small block V-8 engines produced since 1986, the ZZ383 engine has a 3.00" diameter flywheel flange bolt
pattern. Small block V-8 engines produced from 1958 through 1985 had a 3.58" diameter flywheel flange bolt
pattern. This change in bolt circle diameter was made to accommodate a leak-resistant one-piece rear main seal.
This ZZ383 engine includes a 12 ¾” diameter flexplate, part number 14088765. Use flywheel, part number
14088650, with manual transmissions. Also, if using a manual transmission, six bolts, part number 12337973, will
be required.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
If the 383 has a one piece seal then you can reuse the flywheel. If it is a two piece you'll need a new flywheel as they have two different bolt patterns. The one piece seal type has a balance weight on it while the two piece does not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.