Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
1986 Trans Am Driveshaft .

I was reading in the manual and it says to take out the drive shaft, just take off the 4 little bolts and it should come off, well its not, and ive never done anything like this before, and without pictures im lost (I work on engines)... But If someone could help me out., it would be great, and Also it says dont undercoat the driveshaft or it will be out of alignment, but if i was to paint it would it be ok (i want to paint the shaft and the rear end cause i got a chrome diff cover, and whast the use if the rest is rust? :pimp: - THanks guys- Scott

Edit : thread title for language

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
as long as the 4 bolts are removed differential yoke, and the 2 straps are off also, the driveshaft is now unbolted, but the bearing caps on the universal joint are a tight fit to the differential yoke ... a slight coat of rust in there easily locks them together.

placing a screwdriver between the universal and the Diff yoke and giving it a light tug is almost always what it takes to pop them apart, and in more severe cases, ya just gott pull harder ... just make sure your BEHIND the universal "cross" and not ahead of it, if you ahead of it, your just gonna waste your effort

as for the undercoat / paint question its simple

undercoat only realy effect the driveshaft when its only on one side of the driveshaft, but if your clean up yours and paint it, your not applying enough weight to it to cause it to go out of balance

BUT ... if your driveshaft has a heavy coat of rust on it that your cleaning off, clean it, then have it rebalanced at a drive shaft shop, and tell them to NOT paint it, youll do it yourself.

usualy costs like $45 for the proper shop to clean/ inspect / straighten / balance and paint a shaft for a customer, and its money well spent

1 - 3 of 3 Posts