Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 87 r30. It looks a mess under the rear......spri g leafs removed....bags cupping springs....shocks blown out . This truck is lowered 6 to 8 inches I am having issues with the way it was done
Question 1.....should my bags be on the springs...logic tells me frame against axle
Question 2......should I go back to 3500 springs, will be dragging a trailer around with 2 other c10s in it.
Question 3 .......is there a better way to install air bags than mounting them on the springs (custom perches).

1987 c3500 lowered 8 inches flip kit and c notched

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
You are trying to fix a one ton trucks after somebody really screwed up the suspension (lower and bag a one ton truck?). And then you want to pull a trailer with two other trucks on it. It will be a challenge.

You can buy stock rear one ton springs that are rated up to about 4000 lb each, and a helper spring will stabilize it even more. The total GVW should be on the data plate in the truck, and it should be at least 10k. You should already have a front anti-sway bar, and the rear bar was an option. If you use aftermarket soft-ride springs you may be able to get the control you need to tow, without the one ton buckboard ride quality.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Show us some pics of the bags. Specifically, the way they are mounted, and why you think it is wrong.
Does the axle slam into the frame? How much travel does it have at ride height? How is the pinion angle at ride height? Was it built for show, or built for go? Do you know who did the work?
Some trucks just use bags to "lay frame" at car shows, because some people might think this "looks" cool. But if you can't have a good working suspension at your desired ride height it ain't cool at all.
How are the bags controlled? Does the front have air ride also?

I know there's a lot of questions. Try to answer them one at a time.

Bags are designed to handle plenty of weight. That is how tractor trailers control their ride height. So weight is not the issue.
As 75 mentioned, you should make sure the rest of the truck is up to the task.

And I need pics of all three trucks.😇 Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will get some pocs this weekend when I get home.
1. The axel does not slam the frame
2. Travel at ride height is tricky depending on how much air in the bags. If empty with the bags low about don't quote me on this but 8 to 10 inches.
Alot of air obviously stiff
3.pinion angle by the eye is nice and straight.
4. The entire truck has been gone through and entire rebuild I have all the receipts from the motor build breaking time and balance records its drives very well and everything seems strong no rust no nothing.
Motor 454 l19 throttlebody fuel injected nv4500 5 speed gearbox from a 93 and 410 dana 70 HD rearend
5.no I don't know the person
6. The bags are mount from frame to spring, which appears to be cupping the springs .the bags are angled back not straight up and down to hold any load or I would be afraid to put one on it.
The springs only have three leafs left it the removed the shorter leafs to sag a bit I'm sure..
The front is not bagged it has drop spindles with coils not cut.
The trailer I will be pulling is a fifth wheel covered trailer tha can hold a 86 and a 87 c10 but more than likely won't be at the same time one a show truck and on is my daily driver.

Axel is flipped and c notched

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, so here's the plan on my end. I have new one ton springs new shocks ect. I still want the helpers and keep ride height. I'm just not sure how to mount the bags. Frame is c notched over the axle. Do I weld in plates on the axel and to the frame for mounting location or is there another way to accomplish this

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It looks like the top of the bags are already mounted to the frame in the right position.
From the picture, it looks like the bottom is not even connected at all.
It looks like the bottom of the bag mount may have clamped onto the leaf spring with some u-bolts Maybe?
I would get that sorted out first before I went changing the springs. Hopefully others can chime in on this too...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to start from scratch. The springs currently installed are missing 4 leafs(they were removed). I could be wrong but I was thinking I am going to need those spring to haul a car hauler for weight purposes.....please correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Those bags will carry a lot of weight. But they have to be installed correctly.
The reason someone took the helper springs out, is probably to soften the ride up a bit.
If you put 1 ton Springs back in it, you may be bouncing all over the place...

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
The new 1-ton springs are going to restore it back to stock ride height, not your lowered ride height, won't it??

Or do you have a lower spring or re-arched set??

To me, it looks currently like the lower bag platform needs to be moved back on the spring about 4".....so that it sits over just spring leaf, and not on top of part of the axle perch like it is now.

Any idea whose bad kit/system it is??

Several kits that I took a quick look at online have the bag sitting on a mount 6" or so behind the axle tube, entirely on the spring itself.
You bag base and top alignment and angles would look a whole lot better with the lower mount moved back onto just sitting on the top of the spring leaf.
Also looks to me like they may be installed on the wrong side of the vehicle....maybe should be with the longer forked end of the bag base mount to the rear where the leaf stack is spread open farther. Bottom and top angles of the bag ends look like they would be more parallel if the bases were swapped.

Looks like the butcher job the previous owner did was just the removal of too many leafs to lower and soften the ride....then maybe buggered up the bag install on the lower spring mount.

Maybe should have had a more stock-ish spring with dropped hangers and only 1 or 2 leafs removed from the stock multi stack??
Then bags only used when trailer is connected??

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I was thinking put the lower bag mount on the spring. That's where it looks like it belongs.
As long as its straight up and down. The spring carries all the weight, so no problem with the bag riding on it. That leaf is stronger than you think.
Get it lined up and fastened, and see how it rides around without a load.
Like Eric said, the bags are probably used when carrying a heavy load to level out the truck.
Get that lower mount sorted and you might be good.

What happened down there anyway? Is it even attatched?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The new springs with the new brackets will keep it approximately the same.

No I eont have the brand of kit that it came from, I went through all of the build receipts and couldn't find anything.

So it is common to mount bags to spring in this application.....

I would think that it compromise th integrity of the spring.

I will take a look at swapping th bags side to side

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking put the lower bag mount on the spring. That's where it looks like it belongs.
As long as its straight up and down. The spring carries all the weight, so no problem with the bag riding on it. That leaf is stronger than you think.
Get it lined up and fastened, and see how it rides around without a load.
Like Eric said, the bags are probably used when carrying a heavy load to level out the truck.
Get that lower mount sorted and you might be good.

What happened down there anyway? Is it even attatched?
I. Not sure about what happened. No it does not appear to be it looks like it is just sitting on there

1 - 20 of 30 Posts