Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 1987 cast iron cylinder heads fit on a pre-1986 block?

If so, I want to know if heads (#14101081, 1.84/1.50, 64cc?, standard/non-swirl port) from a '87 305 HO will be an upgrade for my 1980 LG4 305 with heads (#450, 1.72/1.50, 62cc).

Thanks.

·
eat a beaver, save a tree
672 Posts
they will work with your intake. you just need to drill (slot) the center four bolt holes on the intake out toward the valve covers. it's done every day. yes it would be a better head. i think the chambers are 58cc though, which is even better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
everyday, you say? alright.

what more can you tell me about slotting the intake? I have an Edelbrock Performer manifold. I have searched the forum for a little more info.
Found just a little.

Does this job have to be done by a machine shop?

Do I need special washers??

Thanks.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Yep, people do it ALL the time but I would recommend getting some thick wall tubing and making spacers cut to match the angle between your existing manifold and the newer heads, you'll get better clamping on the manifold that way. The '86-up Performers with the correct center bolt holes bring $100-$125 average on eBay. That's too much in my book. I'm putting '95 TBI heads on a '76 350 and I'm going to ream out the center bolt holes and make tapered spacers for the SP2P on mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.