Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 Chevy spectrum that recently started having some engine problems.... I was driving down the highway and the car started bogging.... this dropped my hp enough that i could barely maintain 40mph.... it had been pinging like the timing was off but that wasn't the problem i found later that day... I pulled the air cleaner off and the filter had a plastic frame... the filter element itself was burnt and chrispy and some of the plastic had been melting.. I found some plastic in the carb. venturi... I pulled it out and hit it with some carb cleaner... now, unfortunately, it has a ping to it still, and kills engine.... I pulled the filter and airpan off and it runs fine... there is an exhaust sensor or pcv ventalation type of system in the lower pan... It chokes the engine when i close the airbox... when it is off, it works ok but has been sticking open so that it is accelerating on it's own... Is there any tricks that i could try???? i am going to try to clean the plugs tomorrow to see if they are just gummed or if some plastic is fused to them.... Thanks for all the help... it is a 4 banger... SOHC

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.