Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this engine rebuild isn't really a hot rod but I have received so much help on another build I figured I might try and get some help again. I lifted my daughter's full size Jimmy 6 inches and and put big tires on it. I was trying to get the 350 in it some help with take off and torque and the guy at Summit recommended me this Comp Cam Xtreme Energy Cam/Lifter, Valvetrain, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 254/262, Lift .447/.462 kit. I purchased this before I found all the great help on this site. I figured if I was going to do a new valve train then maybe I should look at just upgrading the cylinder heads, intake and headers. It does have the factory TBI. The truck will stay on the pavement most of the time with very little off road or highway driving. Does anyone have a cylinder head, intake, and header recommendation? I have not ordered new pistons yet so I can based on compression and cylinder head choice. We aren't looking to get too radical or anything. I know now I should have started with the pistons and heads before picking out my cam first but again that was before I found all the great help from this website.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Vortec heads
Vortec swap intake
RV cam.
Shorty (block hugging or ramhorn style) headers that fit.
Give you a nice bump in power. Now the factory tbi is rather "dumb". But that can be a good thing. The tbi heads are the limiting factor and the tbi throttlebody can flow rather good (with the right injectiors) up to 4500 to 5000. Past 5000rpm your looking at a diffrent (modern) ecm to run things.

Tbi is a basic fuel injection. It does a few things when cold and some other things with the egr when coasting. But basically it is looking at air fuel ratio and adjusting it by pulsing the injectiors faster or slower then reading the O2 sensor to stay within a window. Throttle position comes into play as well does a bit of timing. But it is a very "dumb" setup and you can get a streetable bump in power while running the factory stuff before you need to play with "chips" and aftermarket tbi setups.

If you just want to run a carb then that can be easy enough. But although it is a "dumb" setup it is still fuel injection and avoids the issues you get with a carb.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Since you seem to be willing to replace heads and cam (good choice) but want to keep the TBI (okay also) you might want to look at the Megasquirt site. It can replace a TBI computer, but is also tunable for a lot of other changes you might make. It’s more like a computer geek performance product than an engine geek product, but it is well supported.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts