Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gotta cammed up 350 with a 700r4. Gotta change the oil pump in the 350. On a scale of 1-10. How many curse words will be spoken

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,541 Posts
At my shop its enough that Alexa orders dish soap to wash out my mouth.
That's pretty much everyday though.

What makes you think the pump is bad?

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
1,031 Posts
Place the transmission pump end up. Remove the bolts. Insert slide hammers into threaded holes in the pump. Push down on the output shaft then use the slide hammers. Insert guide studs when reinstalling the pump.

·
Administrator
18,608 Posts
I think he is changing the oil pump in the engine.
Depends how hard it is to get the oil pan off. Might be easier to lift or remove the engine.

·
Registered
14,887 Posts
Once you get the pan down it’s pretty easy it’s getting to that point that isn’t. Make life simple start by pulling the radiator and distributor cause you’ll most likely end up jacking the engine for clearance and running the fan into the radiator or binding the hoses to where they crack if not rip the nipples out of the radiator, then causing the HEI into the firewall are all big time bummers. There is an intermediate shaft between the pump and distributor be sure you account for it. An 88 will have a plastic collar that aligns thise shafts figure it long ago failed and the shaft and retainer need replacement, might as well get the hot rod version that uses a steel collar. Don’t forget to put it on the effing pump as an assembly when you reinstall the pump.

I suspect this job will improve you French considerably.

Bogie

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Something that will make the job considerably more pleasant , if your doing it on your back , is to NOT be in a hurry ! If the engine is allowed an over night draining ( or longer) there will be less oil running & dripping all over you &"your workspace . Take your time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts