Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my boss is having a problem with his veihicle and he has asked me to find out what is wrong with it.

1990 Ford Taurus
3.0 L. Vulcan engine
Auto with O.D.
119,000 miles

Motor has problems with acceleration, no joke about 10 or more seconds to get to 20 mph. About 7-8 miles to the gallon, extremly bad throtle response.

Parts we know aren't it. MAF sensor, air filter, fuel pressure, fuel dilivery, and exhaust (has a few holes in the muffler but that is fixable). Spark plugs new and correctly set, fresh oil and all other fluids.

My thoughs- Blown head gasket, bad rings, damaged piston(s), or possibly warped head.

Now is where your genius will kick in. I'm going to run a compression test. What else will everyone recomend?

Thanks for the help anyone can offer;
Eric

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
119,000 miles

Thatt alone could be a start.Have you checked the fuel filter? You should be able to tell if it is a head gasket by checking oil or the coolant.Does it jerk and carry on under acceleration?That is a good giveawy on the Taurus with a blown headgasket.Be thankful it is not the 3.8 in the Taurus.When they blew a head gasket it was best to unload it than fix it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
freshly replaced fuel system- hoses, pumps, pickups, filters...ect. I've blown a head gasket from cylinder to cylinder not effecting the cooland or oil. Compression check shall tell on the head gasket.

What about just rebuilding the motor and not having to go through twice?

Thanks,
Eric

freshly replaced fuel system- hoses, pumps, pickups, filters...ect. I've blown a head gasket from cylinder to cylinder not effecting the cooland or oil. Compression check shall tell on the head gasket.

What about just rebuilding the motor and not having to go through twice?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Is it worth rebuilding? A early model Taurus is not a car that is worth much.If your boss likes the car,and that is what he wants,well then I would do it.I have found out that arguing with a boss is not the best idea at times.Lost a few jobs because of it.

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Did this loss of power come on suddenly or very gradually? Might be a clue.

I would check head gasket as you suggest, and valves. I also question "the economic viability of the repair" -- round here a Taurus of that vintage and miles would only be worth about $1500 in good running conditions.

Another point against an expensive repair -- around 150K or so the bearings will probably give up.... so don't spend a lot....

Just a thought, if the vehicle has some sentimental value and a motor swap was decided upon, the 3.0L Duratecs are available through reman now, a much more powerful motor.

But I just can't imagine a love affair with a Taurus. It would be like a teenager dating a dowdy looking fat girl....

·
Registered
257 Posts
ckeck the base timing, first unhook the spout connecter (its near the dist, its a small square connecter on the wire harnes)the 3.0 l cast iron engines are hard on the dist gears, remove the dist cap and try too turn the rotor button , if you can't turn it turn the engine over abit and try it again. (what killed the the cat's )
it could be a plugged injecter'(s) they can make a engine run lean and no power
check another book for the fuel spec , some books have misprints.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I had a '90 Taurus with 238,000 miles when I sold it. It would probably still be running...except for an accident.

What about the air-fuel sensor (or whatever it's called) in the exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Poor engine

Another thought, if the engine is running poorly, at all times, it could well be that it needs the fuel injection system flushed out.
Had that problem with my 94 T-bird, running poorly. I took it to my friendly Ford dealer, and they hook it up to a machine that flushes out the fuel rails, injectors, etc, just like dialysis. My engine has run like a top ever since.

I think MI2600 was referring to the O2 sensor, another possibility .

Problem is with that stuff, without seeing it first hand, can be difficult to diagnose.

One other thing it could be is in the engine computer.
Those are a nice little chunk of money.
Not sure I would want to drop around $600 -900 for a new brain box for that car.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Run the codes, and find a new boss...he will never be satisfied with your free diagnosis and labor even if you manage to fix his problem. He might even blame you for the next problem he has because you were the last person to work on it...especially if he paid you for the work, been there done that.

Now I just say "I don't know nuttin about dem fancy newfangled cars boss, have you tried tapping around the carburator?". :p

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Good ideas

I think 4 Jaw has the right idea. Been there and done that as well. Even had people demand that I fix something on their vehicle when I had my own shop, because I was the last one to work on it, before something else had gone wrong.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
My boss at one company had several "company cars".That I had to work on when they needed it.I would work on the Saab,Lincoln,BMW.The only two I refused to touch was the Turbo 911,and the new BMW M5 he bought.He only paid me $13.00 an hour and that small pay was not worth the problems that may have been caused had I messed something up on either one of them.He understood.Tell you the truth they both intimadated me anyway. I told him before he ever asked,chances are he never would have had one of us in the shop touch those two,but I threw my thoughts out anyway.He did take me out in that Porsche a few times though.Bad *** feel it in your pants power.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Da rest of Da Story

The rest of the moral of the story. Dont work on your bosses car, especially when hes such a squeeker hes driving an accident looking for a place to happen, and when it does, since you are the poor slob that worked on it last, hes either going to want you to replace his rolling pile of junk or tell you to find employment elsewhere.

On another note, had a "friend" want me to get him some car parts with my wifes discount (she works at O'Reilly's) and then wanted me to do some 15-20 hrs of repairs on his car, gratus, cuz we was buds. Havent seen him darken my driveway since I said I couldnt do it.

Isnt life funny that way?

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
I'm going against the grain here...

I note you are only 17, which means that taking a chance on your boss probably won't mean starving children and a repossessed house in you immediate future.

Go ahead and experiment with it. You'll learn about the car and your boss and human nature. The downside is if you really piss him off (whether it's your fault or not) you'll get fired... which might be a blessing in disguise. The upside is you night learn about the car and he might be a really good guy down deep.

Reminds me of the conversation I was having with my son today before he went to work -- as the hardware and automotive clerk at the same little family department store I worked at in 1972....

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

It's got to be something really choking it bad to get the performance that crappy.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
n another note, had a "friend" want me to get him some car parts with my wifes discount (she works at O'Reilly's) and then wanted me to do some 15-20 hrs of repairs on his car, gratus, cuz we was buds. Havent seen him darken my driveway since I said I couldnt do it.

Heck I even have family that way.My Grandfather on my Dads side has never made an attempt to see my youngest.I do not go out of my way to go over there,that side of the family just "works" that way.But if something breaks I sure do get a call.I will not mess with it.I do not even lie anymore,just say "not interested"

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Ever have someone try to pay you in beer? That seems to be the bartering system with the guys I grew up with.That is why they have shingles falling off,wheels that lock up,pipes that leak.Just send me the cash,no checks,just cash.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.