Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 1991 olds cutlass behiind me right now, friends haven problems with it running for a sec at startup and will not stay running or rev. has 3.1 its a 1991. fuel pressure is at 39 and will run if you shoot either into the intake. any help would be wounderfull.

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
on the throttle body there is a small sensor the connects to one end of the butterlfly shaft it rotates when the throttle is pressed...have you replaced or checked this sensor out.... my mother had a 1993 olds cutlass 3.1L that did almost the exact same thing, and it was that sensor or w/e its called....maybe someone else knows what im talking about and can give you the exact name for the sensor...but what it does it monitors the amount of throttle you give the car and sends feedback to the brain..... check that out.... that'd be my guess

·
Registered
636 Posts
did you happen to check it for codes??????? I personally have never seen a bad "tps (throttle position sensor)" keep a vehicle from running.... the fuel pressure sounds a little low to me id have to check on my pc at work to confirm that though....Maybe someone else can chime in to verify the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we replaced the map sensor , that was the coad it was giving, now it runs but dies when you give it any kind of gas, we tried testing the tps not sure if we did it right, we tested 1 and 2 of the three prongs. we got 1.5 k at closed and it drop to 0 when opening again not sure if we did it wrong but this is a far as we have gotten at this point. had a few mechanic buddies look at it and we are all stumped.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we took it to a friends house with some kinda super duper snap-on coad reader. all it picked up was the map sensor. We rechecked the fuel pressure, while doing this we discoverd the car ran better when the fuel was being leaked out while it was running, turns out there was a bad injector and the other wherent able to get rid of the access fuel, there was also a small manifold leak. thanks for all your insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.