Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my name is Dennis and I have a Vortec engine from a 96 that's fresh and I have a 93 GMC with the TBI and I'm wanting to put that motor from the 96 in the TBI truck the 93 are all these things about the same thing I need to do

·
Administrator
9,830 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders. You posted your new question to an olde thread. Read dates on threads. I moved your question to a new thread, for new answers. Thanks

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Not a hard swap if you keep the TBI... Use a Vortech TBI intake or a Vortech 4bbl intake with a TBI adapter. It should run ok with the L31 cam

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
You will need to use a 4 bbl, L31, Vortec intake with a 4bbl to TBI adapter. If you need EGR this will be your largest issue as the TBI engines source this from the cylinder head stolen from the old fashion exhaust heat crossover source in the head where the Vortec uses external plumbing. You will also need to use the TBI distributor.

The TBI is a quite different system from the Vortec to where its computer will not operate the L31’s injection or ignition so you are stuck with these modifications or using the TBI heads, intake and top end parts on the L31 short block.

The other issue is the coolant pump, you will have to use the TBI pump as the external plumbing between these is quite different. The big thing to look out for is the built in bypass hole under the right side as seen from sitting behind the steering wheel. The Vortec blocks eliminated this hole as time went on so you need to see if it is there. If the block does not have this then you need to tap the hole in the pump to take a screw in plug to insure no coolant leak at this point.

The TBI computer should pickup the slightly bigger L31 cam, it may have some hiccups temporarily till it does this which will happen if your O2 sensor is functional.

Bogie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts