Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1994 k1500 suburban with a 350 Throttle Body Injection, and I was wondering if I could skip a bunch of steps on a methanol/water system.
1st question, Would a methanol heavy methanol/water mixture work in place of fuel? if so, would 50/50 work better or worse than something like 75m/25w?
2nd question, could I reroute one of the 2 TBI injectors to a methanol/water mixture pump and still make sufficient power? or would I have to jack up fuel pressures in both injectors to maintain a healthy
A/F mixture? If so, how would I go about doing that, stronger pumps, or more boost? Thanks for taking the time to read, I'm mostly new to large scale methanol injection.

If anyone is wondering why in the world I want a meth injected 350 in a 4wd suburban, alternate fuels are something I've been looking into recently and I'd like to experiment.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,307 Posts
In short, no. Meth/Water is used as an additive to cool intake temps and prevent detonation. Methanol has significantly lower BTU content than gasoline and takes many times more fuel to be stoichiometric, like on the order of 6:1 instead of 14.7:1. Once you add in any water, you're looking at massive fuel system and ignition system alterations to make methanol a viable fuel. You should also watch a video of what Methanol does to a Top Fuel Dragster's oil after a 1/4 mile run.

I'll let Bogie give the long answer. My short answer is nope.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,307 Posts
TBI chevys suffer from a fantastic combination of terrible heads, tiny cam, low-ish compression, and poor flow through the throttle body. They also have large, low-pressure nozzles (I refuse to call them injectors). They also have an ECM that detests change. TBIs are great for what they were intended - a low-performance, low RPM "thing" that satisfied GM's need to enter the EFI race and still barely meet emissions requirements. They tend to last a long time, but as a basis for anything vaguely resembling performance they basically need a complete, re-do, as in everything down to the pistons... which means it's cheaper to just start with a decent shortblock.

Fuel type is the least of your headaches at this point.

Methanol is a highly toxic and corrosive fuel that likes to destroy engines from the inside out. It also carries with it a significant amount of its own oxygen which means it is far more flammable than gasoline. Ethanol on the other hand is widely available and a pretty easy conversion.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
No methanol and water is not a fuel, it is used as a detonation suppressant on very high compression ratio or for very highly boosted engines.

Straight methanol is used as a fuel but it takes roughly twice as much as gasoline to get a combustible mixture so it presents a set of problems:
  • First mileage per volume consumed compared to gasoline is cut in half.
  • It attracts water, it is really hard to keep dry enough that it doesn’t result in corrosion of tge fuel tank, lines, filters, etc.
  • It attacks and dissolves many types of rubbers and plastics, so all of these lines, seals, accessories need to be replaced with materials resistant to this action.
  • It absolutely wipes out upper cylinder lube increasing wear on the rings, piston and cylinder bore.

Back in WW-II this stuff as water methanol and often with NOX was used to boost maximum horsepower from piston aircraft engines. It is so hard on engines that the throttles of fighter aircraft had a wire bail at the end of the throttle quadrant between take off power considered to be the engine’s max rated power and a place further up the dial named Full War Power. That’s haul your butt out of a deadly situation using maximum boost, dumping a ton of fuel with laughing gas (NOx) and water meth to keep from blowing the pistons out of the crankcase. The wire bail was there so if you got home the mechanics had or off positive the engine was junk even though it still ran. That bought your airplane a new motor and the storage and delivery systems were repaired or replaced. Water-meth was also used on bombers for detonation suppression at take off power as they were generally at or above max gross take off weight and needed help getting off the runway.

So no water meth is not a fuel it is used to suppress detonation by absorbing heat from the combustion of gasoline by using that heat to turn the water to steam. The methanol is used as an anti freeze for the water and as with ethanol in modern fuel it supplies free oxygen as it disassociates helping burn the over rich fuel mixture without having to add more boost. Boost leads into the science behind super and turbo chargers and their limitations, there are no free lunches.

Bogie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts