Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, :welcome:

I have a '94 Chevy 1500 with a 350 that has 319k miles.

I recently did a full tune up, which included replacing the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and ignition coil. I did notice that the plugs that were in the truck were different than what I purchased as replacements (both are AC Delco). The original plug was slightly longer, I believe. I did hold on to them for future reference, in case there was an issue.

Right after the tune up, I noticed the truck needed a little extra cranking to get it started. I was thinking maybe the battery was on its way out. But I took it for a spin this weekend and left it parked for maybe 20 minutes. When I tried starting again, it wouldn't catch. I tried several times, until I finally decided to keep cranking 'till it started, which it did.

Any ideas on what it could possibly be? My short list includes checking the wires to the starter, the ground, the starter itself and getting the battery tested.

Thanks in advance, :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
do you have the part numbers off the spark plugs.. and or the boxes for the new ones. perhaps the receipt..

earlier chevy motors used like a 7/16 reach spark plug.. later motors used a 3/4 reach spark plug..

reach is how much length from the seal/taper to the end of the spark plug ..

if you used shorter spark plugs.. could you post pictures of the threads of the older ones.. you will be able to tell if the last 3 or 4 threads were exposed in the combustion chamber..

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have the part numbers off the spark plugs..

earlier chevy motors used like a 7/16 reach spark plug.. later motors used a 3/4 reach spark plug..

reach is how much length from the seal/taper to the end of the spark plug ..

if you used shorter spark plugs.. could you post pictures of the threads of the older ones.. you will be able to tell if the last 3 or 4 threads were exposed in the combustion chamber..
Hi,

I don't have the numbers available right now, but I will post them tomorrow morning, along with pictures of the threads.

Off the top of my head, I believe the ones it has now are the AC Delco Copper CR43TS.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
that is the proper spark plug for your application.. depending if the heads have been changed.. vortec heads take longer spark plugs..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts