Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with an Automatic Transmission that will not shift into 2nd gear until the tach is redlined at 5000 rpm. Then when it finally does shift into 2nd it jumps into 3rd,4th,and sometimes right into 5th gear. It doesn't overheat and the fluid is still that redish color and doesn't smell burnt. I've tried adjusting the Detent cable, adjusted the shift linkage and still the same result. There is no Vacuum Modulator and the shift timing is controlled by the computer. Someone mentioned that it might possible be the Governor valve in the tail housing. But I never heard of such a valve. Before I tear the thing open that far I hope someone here can explain what my problem might be and direct me towards a remedy. Any ideas? or do I need to disassemble this thing?
Thanks

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
if this was a govenor related issue, it would not shift. the detent as you call it is actually throttle valve pressure which not only controls shift pressure but timing as well. this is an RH unit, not an RE, so the computer only controls the lockup solenoid and overdrive solenoid. and is a 4 speed with a internal clutch in the torque converter. thats the "5th" gear your feeling.
as for the very late 1-2 shift, odds are, the 1-2 shift valve in the valvebody is hanging up.
have you had any maintenance done on it recently? like a transmission flush? if so, was the pan dropped and the filter changed out? have you tried to do a manual shift from low to 2nd and it still hang up? (shouldnt)
id ask if youve had it scanned for trans codes, but the only codes you'll find for that trans will be for t.c.c. or overdrive, neutral switch, or vehicle speed sensor related.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.