Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's up guys. I recently purchased a 1995 chevrolet k1500 standard cab stepside shortbed with a 5.0L 305 with a manual trans. everytime i drive the truck i wish i had an exhuast on it. that is what led me here, i am looking to go from a stock single exhaust to a dual rear exit. except that is as far as i go. i am not really sure what kind of mufflers to put on. i want something that will sound good at idle, and when you tramp the gas let our a roar from the 305, yet i don't want to be attracting the police's attention everytime i pull out.

i was looking around the internet and found a flowmaster cat back featuring a super 40 muffler. i coem fromt he coal region where almost everyone has a pickup with an exhaust, some are striaght pipes, and some are glass packs that when you tramp the gas, you can hear them from a couple of blocks away.

more or less i am looking for something that sounds good at idle, and lets you know you are packing some power under the hood when you let the RPM'S climb.
Any suggestions on what muffler can give me the sound i want if it helps i am planning on running 2 1/2" pipes

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had an 87 chevy full size with a manual trans and a 305, and I put a cherry bomb 2 1/2 inch glass pack on it, and then from there it went back to a turndown in front of the rear tire. I did that after the factory exhaust rusted off a few inches behind the converter, so my system was straight from the cat back to the turndown.

It sounded awesome, with a nice roar when I got on it, but at idle it was a quiet, subdued rumble. If I tapped the gas with the clutch in, it would make a real nice growl. You wouldn't believe how many people thought I had a big block or some kind of souped up motor when I'd rev at a stoplight.

And, when I was cruising and not on the gas very much, it wasn't too loud (before I put the glasspack on, when it was just the converter, it was unbearable going down the highway!).

Pluss, the glasspack cost me 15.99...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you remember what kind of glasspack you installed. i know that most glasspacks sound the same, but i was leaning more towards a thrush magnum. but i don't really know how that will sound since it is possible to get a 305 louder than a 350 in some circumstances

·
Mekanicus Automotive Group
178 Posts
A good solid rumble

I had (well, still have) an '88 GMC 3/4 ton with a 350. I did the very same thing after the stock exhaust rusted off. I remember using a cheap Checker Autoparts muffler, FlowTech, or something like that. It was a turbo type muffler instead of a glass pack. That beast sounded great! Ran the exit right out infront of the right rear tire. Nice solid lope at idle, but as soon as you opened the throttles, it barked like a 454. Later when I moved to a county where we had no emissions laws, I yanked the converter off and split the stock Y-pipe into duals and used a pair of 12" Heddmann glasspacks. THat really had a beautiful thunder.

Speedshift.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it was a Cherry Bomb. I got it at Farm and Fleet, they were having something like 10% off all mufflers, but event without that, they were under 20 bucks. Also, I know that Autozone sells the same ones, though I think they were a little over 20 bucks there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just don't know how loud a flowmaster super 40 would be on the truck, or how loud it would be with 2 glass packs. and using exhaustsoundclips.com really isn't a good indicator, because you can't really tell how far from the exhaust they are when they are recording the sound. i mean i basically know what a flowmaster has to offer, just not sure how loud it would be a standard trans (especially with me driving it) like i said before i want something with a nice idle, yet at cruise it wont' annoy the bodily fluids out of me, but yet when i pull up to a red light and some kid with a rice burner is reving his little pion motor, i would like to be able to give him a little rev to strike a fear, and perhaps a ring in his ear? Know what i mean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i basically decided that i am going to go with a super 40series muffler since the local automotive shop can get me one for $42.00 the only other question i have reguarding an exhaust is the tip.

i was thinking about putting a 2 1/2" to a 3" outlet on the end of the pipes where they come out from under the bumper, how much of an effect with the bigger diameter outlet have on the sound of the exhaust?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.