Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a 96 460 from a f250 into my 83 bronco, every thing works great except the alternator isnt charging. I have not verified with a multi-meter yet but I only have battery voltage showing up on guage and the last battery lasted a few days then wouldnt start. Which wire going to the alternator excites it? Does the computer control the alternator or is it a key on hot wire from the cab?

Thanks.
Jared

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here , :pimp:

How many wires on your alternator?

If its 5, the Light green/ red goes to the charge indicator, Blk wht jump together, (looks like 3 and 4 pins), Yellow / Wht, Fuse link, #1 blk / org, Fuse link, #2 black org, fuse link..

My schematic shows no Computer support, The wire color also varies model to model and year to year, those are the colors I show, Check your manual to verify..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the manual I have dosent show any alternator wireing or I would be all over that. so if they all go to fuse links would they all be outputs? or are they inputs from fuse links. Im thinking the wire Im looking for needs to be a key on power to excite the rotor and produce the magnetic field to cause the stator to create output ......right?

·
doesn't play well with others
1,823 Posts
Well first off I'll say the schematic I attached is from another website and could be wrong. I only trust 100% a book in front of me which I don't have right now. According to the schematic I found '83 used an external regulator. If that is the case the regulator gets its ignition feed through the red/green wire to the I terminal of your regulator. If you do have an external regulator you should be able to trace everything by this schematic. If your alternator is internally regulated then this schematic I downloaded is wrong and just forget I said anything. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, im running the alternator of from the 96 460 so its the internally regulated alternator.

·
doesn't play well with others
1,823 Posts
Well this is all I could come up with. Looks like the ignition feed goes throught the instrument cluster gauge then to the alternator. Looks like it's Lt. Green/Red to the alternator. It's not the best picture but hope it helps somewhat.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, I guess I'll hook up the lt green/red wire to a key on and see what I get. I had a chevy alternator in it before with the 429 I ran with the 83 wiring. I never could figure out that wiring, I figured why bother when I had that chevy, so easy to hook up. these newer alts are nicer though so i might as well do it right this time. thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts