Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I've got a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 360" and I'm going for a reliable performance build.

160,000 miles
I've rebuilt the suspension, added a lift, ball joints, U joints, strut bar, tire rod, new brake callipers, pads, rotors, rebuilt transmission, and exhaust system ( stainless steel pipe, muffler, and exhaust tip )

About to install a new 5.9 360" with 0 miles

I'm looking for advice, parts, tune, costs, and personal experience.

Thank you in advance!:thumbup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you're keeping the stock engine management, SCT is pretty much the only game in town for tuning. There are some guys out there that'll do tunes for you or you can buy the software to DIY it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The stock bottom ends in those engines are pretty solid. As long as you're somewhat careful about tuning, they're good for 500 - 600hp at the crank before you have to worry too much about the pistons. Crank and rods are definitely good for 600 or a bit more.

So they're a good candidate for boost and/or better heads / cam plus intake manifold and headers if you're starting with a stock engine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Are you planning to stay fuel injected? If so, for an intake, either hunt down a used 4bbl Mopar M1 manifold (the EFI version) or buy an Airgap from Hughes. For heads, look at the Edelbrock heads if you want aluminum, or the Indy heads for iron (IMM out in California sells them online pretty nicely prepped, I've got a set and like them). The Enginequest heads are a good cheap iron option if you can get them well prepped with 2.02 intake valves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts