Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my transmission in a 96 GMC Yukon 4 x 4, 4L60E. It seems to disengages at about 30m.p.h in drive and overdrive. I have 1st and 2nd gear only. The trans. was rebuilt November of 2006 ( 1yr., 12,000 mile warranty) and I put 30,000 miles on it and those were easy miles, no towing. Can someone please let me know what it could be.. I don't want to take it back to where I had the work done previously because when they originally had done the work on it something was wrong and I had to take it back.. I don't trust there work and my funds are limited. Shouldn't a trans. last longer than that? Especially when the shop I took it to is a nationwide company.

Thank you

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
SSedan64 said:
You have 1st & 2nd only? No 3rd, 4th or Reverse? May find some Info here, >> http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3046559
I'm sure someone will chime in to help also.
Unfortunately, the National franchise/chains are usually the worst shops. They don't pay that well and have a high employee turnover rate. Can't keep good workers.
agreed, as long as reverse is there odds are that the 3-4 clutches have failed.
its unfortunate that it failed so soon after rebuild, usually, but not always is because of failure of making sure the clearance of the 3-4 clutches are set right.
ive taken apart 700r4 that had a sunshell failure, and on disassembly noticed that the clearance was over .080. which is way too much ( i set mine @ .015-.025).
unfortunately with the transmission industry goes in the chains, its also in some of the local shops around the country, and its more on the r&r technicians that they have the highest turn around with employees, not so much builders.
reason being is with whats been done with the cars technology wise, theres a been a lot of changes in the field to the point that a shop cannot hire just a tom,dick, or harry off the street who thinks they can do transmission r&r.
this is a specialty field, and takes an extreme attention to detail which most dont see on the transmission end cause they havent been there through the years to see these transmissions evolve and change. theres sensors and wires running everywhere, tied and attached on or along the trans and when they do the removal, things break cause they dont either know theyre there, or just dont see them.
im a (i guess you can call it) lucky 1 who is a 2nd generation transmission mechanic, and my father had 1 of the best reputations till he sold his shop to a man who used to work for him in the early 80's due to health reasons.
i was at the shop every day after school from 5th grade on. (dad was single parent)
what more bennefitted me more is the fact he also had a machine shop and built engines and differentials too, so i had a good head start on the game.
sorry to ambush the OP's thread, just answering why theres poor quality in the transmission field like ssedan mentioned. lol :welcome:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help, that makes sense now I can at least act like I know something about trans.Lol.. Now to find someone that still takes pride in there work, and I'm going to stay away from the big franchises. I'll keep asking around I know there's gotta be a good trans. mechanics around here.
I am mechanically sound but I've never worked on trans. before, would you advise against me doing the work myself if I had some tech. support such as a book, internet, etc.? Or do you think it would be opening a can of worms.. More harm than good.

Thanks again,

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
baxendale said:
Thanks for your help, that makes sense now I can at least act like I know something about trans.Lol.. Now to find someone that still takes pride in there work, and I'm going to stay away from the big franchises. I'll keep asking around I know there's gotta be a good trans. mechanics around here.
I am mechanically sound but I've never worked on trans. before, would you advise against me doing the work myself if I had some tech. support such as a book, internet, etc.? Or do you think it would be opening a can of worms.. More harm than good.

Thanks again,
i would say its possible, but attention to detail is critical. do you have a camcorder? buy a rebuild manual like this and with making a few tools for dismantling clutch packs and the low/reverse piston, some snap ring pliers, some hand tools and screwdrivers, it can be done.
if you get the manual and it looks like you think you can do it, more power to you. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.