Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is stock LT1 from 1996 Caprice in a 38 Chevy. The intake ducting has to curve back over the intake plenum due to space constraints. The question I have is does it make any difference where I place the MAF sensor? Do I need to have a straight run of ducting either between the air filter and the MAF or downstream of the MAF before it curves into the throttle body? Or can I simply put the MAF immediately before the curve into the TB on one end with the air filter attached to the MAF? My question is in consideration of possible turbulence and it's effect, if any. I appreciate the expert opinions I've received on other questions and anticipate I'll get the same informed info on this subject as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,552 Posts
As long as the system is air tight from the MAF to the manifold it doesn’t matter where you put it besides the MAF being after the filter.

Bogie

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Rule of thumb is at least 6" of run before/after the MAF to cut down on turbulence. With the tight under hood of a '38 Chevy your arrangement is just about all you can do even as ugly as it looks. Case of form vs function.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts