Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hav e a 1998 chevy tahoe cranks but no start. I have had engine rebulit , new starter , new distributor , new coil , pretty much everything is new . not getting spark . checked no power at crank sensor or distributor . getting power to coil .any help would be nice

Administrator
I hav e a 1998 chevy tahoe cranks but no start. I have had engine rebulit , new starter , new distributor , new coil , pretty much everything is new . not getting spark . checked no power at crank sensor or distributor . getting power to coil .any help would be nice
Welcome to Hotrodders. I edited the thread title. We dont use "Need Some Help" type of thread titles here. Place some information in the thread title so the membership has an idea of your problem. Thanks. 馃憤

Registered
The 96 to 99 harnesses are absolute junk. I would almost guarantee you have a open circuit in your wiring and are not getting 12 volts at the crank sensor.
The sensor itself may be good but the thing is not recieving any voltage which means it will not start.

All the moving around may have tugged the wire, the pins could be loose at the connector(common 96-99), or the harness could have contacted something like the exhaust previously.

Break out a test light and check for 12 volts at the connectior with the key on. I dont know the colors for positive and ground off the top of my head. But maybe someone else will or a few lengthy
searches will let you know.

The temporary (in a parking lot) fix is to run key on power to the sensor using a external wire.

The proper fix is to cut the harness open and trace the wiring back till you find the broke or burnt connection fixing it correctly.

Registered
Well you need power at the crank sensor and the distributor.

The crank sensor tell the computer where number 1 cylinder is, power at the distributor is operating the timing sensor and it鈥檚 amplifier.

You鈥檙e going to have to dig through the wire bundles to see why there is no power to these things. I recommend the purchase of a manual that includes wire diagrams as this system is very complex and you're going to end up having to trace the circuits.

Basically the sensors feed data about the engine to the computer. The computer takes the sensor data and computes the fuel and ignition requirements. If sensor data is missing then so are the control outputs to the EFI and ignition, the result is no start.

Without more specifics there unfortunately really isn鈥檛 much more to be said.

Bogie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.