Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here in awhile - but have found that "Hot Rodders" are the BEST at diagnosing unusual circumstances in everyday cars too!

My issue is that I touched the "Down" Power Window button and the window went down (as normal) about 1/2 way and then STOPPED and rolled itself all the way UP! Problem is ...... this year of truck doesn't HAVE any "Auto Up" feature! LOL!

ALSO - NOW the Switch function is REVERSED. The window will NOT go "DOWN" unless you hit the "UP" side of the switch and vice-versa. If you trick the window into going "DOWN" you have to pull on it and it will go down somewhat. To get it to go "UP" you have to touch the "DOWN" side of the button.

Are there any "Relays" that control the windows or is that function built into the Switches themselves?

Thanks!

·
True Hotrodder
1,897 Posts
Well, the way power windows function is by applying a "reversed" current to the window motor. It sounds like a control relay has gotten stuck - but here's the possible problem, if this is a function of the BCM (Body Control Module) then it can be really painful. The last car I worked on with a bad one was a late 90's Saturn - they decided to scrap the car instead of getting the module which was priced at $450-$475 for a replacement. The car was pretty beat up and simply didn't have enough value to spend that kind of money on one computer module. I hope I am wrong in your case. What you can do to start with is take the offending door panel off, disconnecting the switch assembly and then verify the voltage going to the window motor. That should give you an idea of what is going on. You also might check and see if there is a power window reset procedure for that vehicle. I have a 2003 Infiniti that requires a reset when you disconnect or replace the window motors.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I would pull the drivers and passengers switches. I know on some years you can plug the passenger switch into the drivers door harness to test the switch/motor.

Start with the cheap stuff first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts