Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the car in question is a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE, 2.0L, 4cy, auto trans w/ac, 4 door with 47,000 miles ...I need info on this car motor and trans. If people had problems with car and what issues to look at. And if I should buy it for the kids to drive. The car has all service records, just oil changes. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
As I recall that's the 4G63 engine which is very good. The cars are generally pretty good. Nothing to write home about but pretty good

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
You either love or hate a lancer.

I like the feel and functionality of them(much more with a stick). But I hate the electrical problems and this one does not escape that. You have a few issues with sensors like the crank sensor and terminals of plugs having bad connections due to age.

Not big issues if you address them up front.

Lets start with the HATE;

This car has had 4 or 5 recalls(some of them spring 2018) so make sure they are all covered. Mostly related to the alternator and alternator belt which could cause a loss of power/stall or intermediate loss of head/tail lights. The sunroof can detach and take out that cruiser behind you.

But if you take it to a dealership and have them show you what recalls have been done and what ones have not the problems will be fixed. I know that recall fixes are done the cheapest way possible though so would keep an eye on those areas/items. Here is a consumer reports that discuss the recalls.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/mitsubishi/lancer/2010/reliability#

The thing has a constant variable transmission which I personally hate.
But if you leave the transmission in stock form is something you eventually get use to and in stock form they work well.

For me that CVT is a deal killer and I would not buy the car because of it. I hate the lack of feeling the thing shift and knowing that there is a belt which is "fun to get to" which can go out from 80-150k leaving you stranded. It also takes 5 quarts of oil at around $8 a quart. I think they say between 30-50k. I am all about being over maintenance and would change that cvt oil every 30k to be safe. The belt should give you some warning slipping and such before it needs to be replaced. That being said if you get use to numb feel of the cvt transmission you may not notice the thing slipping until the belt goes.

Time to give some Love;

One thing this car is known for is safety. Great traction, tons of airbags, great breaking/abs, and good crash/crumple zones.

The thing has plenty of room inside and a good amount of cargo room. It has good visibility all around and the controls are laid out nice.

The DE is the "base" lancer model. But you still have that awd which makes the thing great in the snow.

You have the lancer "community" which will acess to a great amount of tech and "tricks" to make things easier with potential to modify things and eliminate some of those hate items.

Love and HATE concerning the timing chain.

The earlier 2007/8/older engine was very basic and easy to work on(once you remove a few things). But compared to some engines it is not that bad as long as you replace things before that timing belt was out of alignment. Your 2010 is a bit more "fun". But still not horrible just more expensive and labor consuming.

I would replace a timing belt/plugs every 60k. Replacing your water pump(and hoses), tensioners, and idlers every 120k and you should have a long lasting engine.

The belt may last to 120k. But the 8-10 hours(driveway time) and the cost of a belt/tentioners/idlers is nothing compared to if that belt goes out. You can get a entire kit for around $100(sometimes with the water pump) and drive worry free for the next 60k without concern.

That being said your "lucky" and have a chain. A neglected timing belt can loose the rubber teeth and shred costing you a engine. You have a timing chain and the computer will adjust for that chain stretching over time and even give you codes when it gets to a point to save that engine before it becomes bad enough to have valve damage. You should have horrible idling and such from the computer adjusting those valves to keep them from interfering with the pitons.

That also being said your "not lucky" and have a chain. To change your chain everything needs to come off around that chain. While your there the oil pump chain should be done also. You are pulling the engine here to save your sanity and that is going to add to the time for this maintenance item. The cost of parts also going up ending in the $300-500 range.

With the 2010 your stuck with the chain and cvt transmission. Which is a love hate thing. If you have the time/facilities to pull the engine and transmission every 60/80k to inspect things replacing them before they become a issue this may not be so bad. If you need to take this to a service station to have these maintenance things done I would avoid this car as those maintenance cost will not be low.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice and tech tips....the car is still covered under factory service for 10 years or 100k miles. So there is 14 months of coverage left. I will have to check if the trans oil change is covered from the factory. The car does not have the sun roof.:thumbup::welcome:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts