Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a few p[projects on a truck with nasty crush-bent 2-1/4" down pipes. Instead of taking the truck to a muffler shop, I'm thinking about using 2-1/2" mandrel-bent stainless down pipes, which are readily available. But I'll need to connect them to the 2-1/4" pipes that lead back to the mufflers. I'd like to use a stainless band clamp, but can't find one for 2-1/2" OD to 2-1/4" OD. I would rather not use a simple adapter with two clamps per side, because if the new joints are visible I want to keep them as clean-looking as possible.

Yes, I know I'll have to make some mods to the pipe heights and angles so they'll mate with the new down pipes, but I can handle that with my MIG welder.

Let me know what you can find in the way of 2-1/2" OD to 2-1/4" band clamps.

Thanks.

Is this pathetic or what? Both started life as 2-1/4" pipes. And for some reason, the shop angled the passenger-side pipe upwards at the front. Exhaust system work at its worst. (n)

This is one of the down tube kits I'm looking at. They are all very similar.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I know they make them because I have one.
2.50 out to 2.25 out.

One of those things I bought by accident (no idea where from) and just kept around vs messing with returning it.

As far as clean goes it is hard to beat just how nice a V band clamp is.

The thing uses no gaskets, makes a tight seal, and makes seperating the exhaust easy.

If your welding to cast or stainless then that requires some skill. But for aluminized you can MIG weld it. Just have the clamp tight and exhaust in place when you lay down your tacks so the alignment is perfect. Then you can easily weld the rest on a bench.

I dont ever see a need to go back to 2, 3 bolt flanges or even ball/cup again. V band is just better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts