Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried it? I bought one last yeat when I bought the gun, and tried it today on some SPI 2K high-build. Needle was too short, causing paint to continuously drip from the nozzle. Tried lapping it in with some grinding compound, but that made it worse.

Any recommendations for a cheap primer gun with 1.8 to 2.2 tip?

Thanks!

Russ

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I bought some tips for a amco hvlp gun. They work fine in the HF purple gun. They come with the tip, needle and air cap.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did you get kit #25942? I just got that for my 38308 gun (same as purple gun) and it worked fine. It sounds like something is hanging up, or maybe a manufacturing defect.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
orangef4 said:
Did you get kit #25942? I just got that for my 38308 gun (same as purple gun) and it worked fine. It sounds like something is hanging up, or maybe a manufacturing defect.
If you're talking to me, no. The number I have is 45395, straight off the package. I believe it to be defective, the brass ferrule that locates the tip was too far forward, thus not allowing the tip to seat in the nozzle and paint to drip through the remaining gap.

Russ

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scrot said:
Try using the 1.4 needle.
It just might work.
The 1.4 set works "OK", but sprays pretty dry. I did reduce my last cup slightly and it went on a little better. A friend who uses Z-Chrome exclusively drills out his fluid nozzle using a #43 drill bit and keeps the same unmodified needle! Obviously you wouldn't do this with a new or expensive gun.

Russ

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Using a 1.4 needle with a 2.2 nozzle will not work.
The needle will go too far into the nozzle to seat and you will basically loose your "air" position on the trigger pull. You pull the trigger and you get material. I know this cause my Grip primer gun came this way with a 2.0 nozzle/1.4 needle and I thought the gun was screwed up till I noticed the "1.4" stamped on the needle. I cut a few .000 off the brass ferrule and it works fine. I took the gun back and exchanged it for another later which had both complete set's included.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HEADS UP!

That brass ferrule is only pressed on the needle and can be (carefully) moved enough to fit correctly. Unfortunately, I found this out too late to save my 2.2 needle. Hopefully others who have this problem can "tinker" their needle into proper adjustment.

Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts