Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the process of adding a 5.0 GT40P Explorer engine in a 1980 Volvo Bertone cp. It will be my wifes DD and will need to be quiet do to her driving to clients homes and such.
Hate the idea of choking it down with an OEM style muffler. Because of space I am thinking of a single 3" system. Maybe a couple of mufflers ?
It has room under the rear seat area for a standard size muffler or resonator and room behind the rear axle for a muffler or resonator as well as "some" room toward the rear bumper.

Here is an interesting thread (with a hot Jeep !) http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/quiet-performance-exhaust-130044.html

Deep throaty is o.k. loud is bad (on this car) Any ideas welcome !

Attachments

·
Old(s) Fart
6,015 Posts
Nonhog said:
Hate the idea of choking it down with an OEM style muffler. Because of space I am thinking of a single 3" system. Maybe a couple of mufflers ?
It has room under the rear seat area for a standard size muffler or resonator and room behind the rear axle for a muffler or resonator as well as "some" room toward the rear bumper.
The factories did this all the time on the luxury cars. Main muffler in tne "normal" location and a resonator (second muffler) in the tail pipe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it were my car(not my wifes) I'd go with a straight flow design. I am looking at Dynomax 20" case Super Turbo. and maybe adding a glass pack either before or after it ? If there is any droan I'll add that pipe (T).
Lots of good info thanks!

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Whichever muffler is last is the sound it`ll get. A glass pack after a turbo muffler would sound like a choking glass pack. A turbo muffler with a resonator eliminates the interior drone at certain RPM`s. This makes sure the sound is mostly heard in the rear. You could also have dual pipes run out of the outlet side of the turbo muffler with dual resonators, this will quiet it down even more. My father has a 98 GMC pickup with a 4.3 V6, the exhaust system is stock, the only changes are it has a high flow cat converter and a $20 buck cheapy Thrush turbo muffler. It sounds nice with a deep tone at idle. Going down the road it sounds stock, it`s rather quiet. He had a flowmaster on it prior and he liked it but he got tired of the drone. So he had it replaced with a stock muffler that choked it down so bad the truck lost alot of power. I got the flowmaster from him and bought him the turbo muffler. After he had it installed he was very pleased with it, the power came back without the annoying drone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.