Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about connecting a two piece hood on say a 54' Chevy?

I'm assuming welding is in order, but do you fill in the whole gap with weld or do you just tack it together them use body filler or lead? Won't that eventually fail and crack the paint due to all of the hood flex when opening and closing the hood?

Come on guys, what's the secret? ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Here's the method I used on my 41 Coupe. I purchased a piece of 1/4" steel brake line and laid it in the depression between the two halves and then tack welded it in place about every inch or so on both sides. Be careful only to tack on the sides of the tubing and not the top or you will have to grind that weld. The tubing is very easy to bend and will fit pretty well although you might want to use a different size depending on the gap you have.

Depending on the size tubing used you can give your hood a very slight to a very pronounced peak. It winds up being extremely straight as well. Just fill the edge on both sides with plastic filler (you only need to go a couple inches or so either side of the tubing and then sand smooth. The tubing keeps the center section pretty strong so it won’t flex and crack the filler. I haven't had any problems with mine and it’s been over 4 years.

Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts