Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
K, couple questions for you fine folks. First: How strong are stock 5.565" 400 connecting rods? I've never used them in a high-po application. Just in a truck motor that never saw over 5K. I'm thinking about using the 307 in my Biscayne for a little bit then drop it in something else later. If I do I would like to use some forged 283 pistons which would need the 5.565 rods unless I go custom pistons ($800 for a set with pins). The aftermarket rods run around $500. I was thinking a freshened set of rods with arp bolts might work. I'm looking at running some Vortec heads, would sit around 9.6:1 compression, cam is up in the air (thinking something to keep a solid power band under 6500 and still make torque, maybe an XE274, maybe even the 262-H 4x4 cam to keep some low-end). I'm also thinking of running a nitrous kit again (I'm a nitrous junky lol), would probably sit at the 150 mark for the kit. Do you think the stock rods would work in this combo? I'd be hoping for around 300rwhp out of the combo N/A and 450 or so on the bottle. I'm thinking a 600cfm carb would work still (maybe a q-jet if I don't go with the EPS "original" looking manifold) and maybe a performer manifold? Which leads to my next question (sorta)

What do you think the RPM range on a performer manifold on a 307 would be? I know they rate the manifolds on a 350, idle-5500rpm. I've built larger cubic inch motors but nothing really below 350ci (had a hand in a hot 327 and goofed with an old 305 before, and lots of boosted 6 cylinders and such). I'm thinking the Performer (or similar) manifold would work well to help keep low-end for the 3800lb car but should still supply enough air for 6-6500? What do you guys think? I think the RPM or RPM Air-Gap might be a little too large

Edit: Not that it really matters for this question, but it will be a stick car while the small block is in it

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
You won't be able to use the short 400 rods because the crank counterweights will interfere with the bottom of the pistons skirt and pin boss near BDC of the crank stroke.

Sounded good on paper, didn't it?? That's the reason you've never actually seen it done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huh, it was listed in my Hot Rod Horsepower Handbook. I've never really seen it done but I've never really worked with the 283/307's as far as performance goes much. Just some mild builds for some resto's we've done. Maybe they just saw it on paper too? That sucks! I don't really want to run cast pistons and don't want to drop $800 on a set of pistons for such a mild build. I know I "COULD" run them on the kit as long as everything is tuned perfectly and no detonation (run conservative on the timing and top grade fuel when using it) but would rather not. Any opinions on the intake manifold? I was also looking at the Comp Cams XE268S solid cam. I think that would run well in this combo, what do you think? Be better in a lighter car but should still work fairly good with a 3.55 or so gear and wide-ratio 4-spd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.