Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
C6, the C5 of tomorrow
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm redoing the hinges on my '29 Dodge. the hinges are a lot like Fords of the day, just a pin stuck through to pieces of steel...

I've read a lot of threads about rebuilding hinges and it seems that most people use bolts or maybe drill rod none of which seem like good material or very accurately sized.

Why not use ground dowel pins? theyre cheap, hard and precision ground and you can get them in a lot of different sizes.
my plan is to drill the hole to the next size pin, ream the stationary pieces to a press fit and the moving pieces to a slip fit. I would also weld a cap to the top of the pin, think washer except nicer...

The hardened pin should last forever and with some oil groves operate smoothly and accurately.

Am I missing something with this approach?

Thanks, you guys are great
Keith

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Works for me.. Sounds like a good plan.. The drill rod I get is well made though so I will most likely use that..

Sam

·
Registered
754 Posts
Drill rod is also very brittle. After opening /closing those doors you may end up with one falling off cause the hinge pin broke. How many times have you broken a drill? a hinge pin will bend, not break.
I would measure the inside diameter of the hole in the hinge. Go to your local body shop supply place or just look online to find a pin that is the right size. Most hinge pins are standard size diameter and have a knurling at the top so when you press them in, they can't work their way out.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,412 Posts
Drill rod is also very brittle. After opening /closing those doors you may end up with one falling off cause the hinge pin broke. How many times have you broken a drill? a hinge pin will bend, not break.
I would measure the inside diameter of the hole in the hinge. Go to your local body shop supply place or just look online to find a pin that is the right size. Most hinge pins are standard size diameter and have a knurling at the top so when you press them in, they can't work their way out.
Very good look at this Sunset, I figure the hinge pins sold are so cheap, why not use one? A dollar each? :sweat: Early Ford Store of CA - Antique Ford Parts - Used Original, NOS & Reproduction parts-1928-1972 Southern California Vintage Ford Parts -Restoration or a Hot Rod

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts