Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Im a 20 year old guy from CA and purchased my 65 Thunderbird when I was 17. My dad and I got it as a father/son project but considering that neither of us are mechanics we haven’t really gotten too far into it. Hoping I can get some advice from anyone with a big heavy boat like mine cheers! :)

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
263 Posts
Welcome. One tip I will give you is a new part, or supposedly fixing a part doesn't always mean it's good. I chased engine problems around for over a year on my grandma's Tbird and it turned out to be the combination of the new rotor and PCV valve that I "thought" I cleaned out and got working again. After putting the old rotor back in and clamping off the PCV (it was causing a large vacuum leak) it ran good.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One tip before you get too deep into it.........get your paperwork straight! Here in CA the DMV is an expensive minefield. Is the title in your or your fathers name? If so, is it on a non-op? If the answer is no to either of those questions, don't drop a dime into it until it's all straight! I've seen too many drop large $$$ and years of labor into their cars only to find out they can't register them in CA when they're done. One guy had $28k into his ride, couldn't register it and wound up parting it out for a huge loss!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.