Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,
I have a 69 bird with a 200-4r transmission installed. I found most of the information on how to set up the linkage to the carb, but what I cant seem to find is how much cable should easily pull out by hand?
Reason I ask is that when setting up the carb linkage , the cable pulls easy at first then pretty hard through the travel.

Bob

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
The first half-inch or so is just taking out the slack in the plunger spring. On my setup (Holley carb, 20-121 bracket, and Lokar cable) the "pullout" is 7/8". I set mine up with a pressure gauge and that amount of travel works for me. I did see very little pressure change over the first 1/2" of pull and very litte change over the last 1/8" of pull. So, put a gauge on it and concentrate on getting the pressures set right.

Russ

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok ,
will do .
I was just concerned about the carb throttle shaft and possibly bending the TV control arm in the trans. There seems to be excessive force after the intial 1/2 inch or so. I set it up using the information on the web.

I haven't driven the car yet so I just want it to be OK when its time to drive. I've purposely not made it driveable yet , to avoid temptation, if ya know what i mean..LOL

Bob

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
I checked the pressure's on one a couple of weeks ago for the installing mechanic. With the TV cable disconnected, and pulling it as hard as I could, the pressure's did not raise over 89 PSI, at idle, or above 1500 RPM in any gear. This was after being driven back 70 miles from the transmission builder. They had claimed the cable was mis-adjusted.

After it had been towed back to the rebuilder for the 4th time, the builder had it towed back out there, and they still claimed the same adjustment problem. The rebuilder said the throttle linkage was the whole problem.

I beg to differ. Today, with no-one else around, the installing mechanic looked to see what changes were made to the linkage. He let me know that the engine will not go to full throttle now.

Sounds like the 'Short Spring Syndrome' in the transmission to me.

It will be interesting to see if it lasts over 70 miles this time. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.