Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
one full turn after it squeeks
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has any credibility BUT, if it does, then the ?Industry? had better get busy once the word is out. Especially before the Gooberment gets ahold of it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...718343&fref=nf

What do Y'all think?
WR

P.S.for some reason this link won't open here but it will everywhere else so I'm gonna leave it incase it changes or you want to cut and paste into your browser - - - I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Someone else posted the same video.

I'm sure it runs but for how long? I will bet that it is running very lean.

We all know how long an engine will last if that is the case. Not very. Especially if a load is put on the engine.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
Um.......there is no conspiracy keeping someone from releasing a car that gets good has mileage. Think about this for a minute, what would GM do with something like this? Technology to make all their cars get 200 mpg, do you think the black helicopters would come and stop them?

There have been people to do things like this over the years, MANY people have done similar things. The problem with most of them is it's very limited in use some how, or it's cost isn't effective, or something. There is something that makes it not worthy of mass production.

Brian

Reactions: wretched ratchet

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
What we do is engage in the quest for increased efficiency in the use of fuel.. There is only so much energy in a gallon of fuel and the guy who gets the best use of that energy is the one who wins the race or goes to most distance with that gallon of fuel. So what ever one does to a car to make it faster or get better mileage is looking to get the maximum use of that gallon of fuel. the one who figures it out will be the winner..

Sam

·
one full turn after it squeeks
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sam, I agree with what you say but it seems that no matter what one does the regulations required seem to over rule the Economics.

Back in the seventies, I had a Chevy PU with a 350/4bbl and someone told me about putting a #40 stainless steel water well screen between the carb and the manifold so I did and I increased my MPG from 15/16 to 20/21 and it was so simple to do, even for me, so I'm sure there is available technology that far exceeds my shade tree attempt.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Um.......there is no conspiracy keeping someone from releasing a car that gets good has mileage. Think about this for a minute, what would GM do with something like this? Technology to make all their cars get 200 mpg, do you think the black helicopters would come and stop them?

There have been people to do things like this over the years, MANY people have done similar things. The problem with most of them is it's very limited in use some how, or it's cost isn't effective, or something. There is something that makes it not worthy of mass production.

Brian
You are correct Brian, MANY have done it before, including some heavyweight names in the industry.

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
Um.......there is no conspiracy keeping someone from releasing a car that gets good has mileage. Think about this for a minute,
Brian
WANNA BET..
-Highway safety dept. adding more and more crap to cars.. to try to give the illusion that the vehicle is safe, making vehicles heavy..

E.P.A. mandating a blended fuel that gets less BTU's and causes you to burn more fuel than if you ran 100% non ethanol fuel.. and tho. the blended fuel burns cleaner.. it's still dirtier .. see they use the ppm emissions of a gallon burnt.. instead of the ppm of getting 10-20 miles down the road.. cause when you burn a gallon less of fuel, and the lower btu fuel only is 2% cleaner.. you've put more crap in the air running the cleaner fuel.. as you've burnt a gallon more of it..

these 2 dept. of the government are BIG issues with MPG..
Adding to the issues above, the cost of testing required to bring a vehicle to market.. is over the top.. and that totally stops many an idea from getting off the ground..

Then you have D.C. G.m.'s Volt, was to be a fuel cell car.. Obama's car cazr, had them shelve that after it was 95% done with testing.. and made them build an electric..

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Hot vapor engine

I was talking to my step son the other day. He got his B S degree in Automotive and we were talking about how the Milage of newer cars is less than the Geo Metro of the earlier 90's that got 50 to 60 MPG. He told me that his father did several different things to try to improve gas milage before his health got bad and he passed away. They built a hot vapor systen and it greatly improved fuel milage , then the formulation of the new gasoline that now blends fuel for different areas and the time of the year, He said the new fuels would gum up the vapor system and require extensive work to disasemble it and clean it. I remember in the 80's a college professor said that the US fuel milage standards should be changed to calculate how much milage per BARREL of crude oil. and that different formulas and refinery practices would improve those numbers.
I knew an engineer that was doing experiments at Stanford University with a gasoline engine that ran at 40 to 1 compression. Extreme detonation in the combustion chamber and very high shock loads. He said the amount of energy produced in a very short time resulted in more power to the crankshaft. One major problem after redesigning everything to survive after the shock load was the high temperatures produced high NOX, way over the emission numbers needed. They were experimenting with a nox recovery system that would convert the nitrogen to fertilizer. Everything sounded expensive and complicated to produce and operate.
The New Clean diesel systems are more expensive today and a lopt of guys I talk to today are seriously considering buying their next truck a CNG capable.

·
Gone sailing
398 Posts
I was talking to my step son the other day. He got his B S degree in Automotive and we were talking about how the Milage of newer cars is less than the Geo Metro of the earlier 90's that got 50 to 60 MPG.
I own a 98 Metro that I use as a local commuter/grocery getter. it gets 40 mpg when cruising 55 and 35mpg in town. the guys that say they get 50-60 are following semi trucks 10 feet off their rear bumper. it's not much good for extended freeway driving (the squirrels don't like to run that fast) but you sure can't beet them for around town.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Back in the eighties........
What Ever Happened To Smokey's Hot-Vapor Engine?

"managed to get as high as 51 mpg on the highway running 93-octane pump unleaded premium gas (the stocker got about 35 mpg on 87-octane). The hot-vapor engine did all this running unheard of high temperatures at an extremely lean air/fuel ratio, in seeming violation of accepted internal-combustion-engine physics."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.