Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for my work van, not a show piece. How do I prep for repainting my peeling roof? Of course the areas that I let rust will need special attention. I'm thinking for the rust to sand the loose stuff fairly good, spray bomb where there are any pits with rust converter, prime.

My main concern is getting rid of all the paint that is still on there. I'm really not too concerned about how it looks except the front foot or so that shows (it's a 3500 so it sits high). I'm thinking of an air hose straight from the compressor (so I get 150 to 175 psi) getting under all the loose paint that hasn't come off yet (most of it is on). Then what to do? Do I sand the entire roof, prime, and paint? Or if it doesn't fly off with the air hose, sand and go over it? I'm afraid I know the answer to that.

And as far as sanding, must the primer all come off also and go down to bare metal? Or is it just the bond between the primer and paint that goes bad?

Any tips for reaching the entire roof for sanding? As I'm typing I'm thinking of a step ladder closed with a moving blanket folded a few times to protect the sides.

I won't be able to put it in the garage to protect it from the elements between sanding and painting so I'm thinking just doing a quarter of it at a time.

And last, what kind of cheaper paint can I use? I'm not doing a BCCC. Just something that will protect it from the elements and survive an automatic car wash now and then. If it matters at all, it's white. And heck, I've sprayed rustoleum with hardener added to a couple trailers and it's held up extremely well! The hardener really makes a difference. The drip rails will break the line between the roof and the sides, so the shade of white isn't real important to me either.

·
More for Less Racer
19,500 Posts
What the air hose doesn't lift right now, is going to be suspect down the road with 90% probability it is going to continue to peel and flake....you know the answer to this, if you only want to deal with this once get after it with a DA and strip it all off the roof.
If it is just the color coat peeling off the primer, and the primer is staying down ok, there is no reason the primer has to come off, factory primers tend to bond to metal really well.

For a job like that where perfect color match and finish aren't a high priority, i don't see any problem with using either Rustoleum with hardener or Tractor/Implement enamel with hardener.
I've never tried Rustoleum like that, but I have used Tractor/Implement Enamel with hardener and the stuff is quite durable, after all, it is made to sit around in less than perfect environments and survive.
Stuff I used was Majic, from Tractor Supply, it is an alkyd enamel. One gallon was enough to spray an entire '66 Chevy long box mud run truck Machinery Grey. Starting to fade the last time I saw it a year ago, but held up well as far as scratches and chips after 6 years

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've got an '05 Silverado and the paint is peeling on it. Noticed that just about ALL GMs that are white have a peeling problem. Checked with a few places and the answer is the same, for some reason the white paint will not stick to the primer under it. Only real solution is to take the primer off too.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Eric, I knew the answer, I was just hoping for, for I don't know what?

The white to primer adhesion problem has to do with the water based paint used. Did ANY other colors do that? (for GM)

I have a SATA water born painting certification. If anyone tells you that, take it with a grain of salt. I was taking an auto body evening course when they came to show off their new waterborne paint guns and we were lined up to go through the paint booth. Every 3rd person got to spray a nickel sized dot on some paper and presto, everyone was certified! I got to spray the little spot so I feel very special.

I recall a Mustang that came in for the full time students to fix the peeling paint on the door. It was either black or dark blue? They used the air hose to blow off about 25% of the paint on the entire car, so it wasn't just a GM white problem. Looked nice when done. Then it came back all scratched up and I couldn't think of what could have happened to scratch it the way it was? A guy that grew up on a farm said it looks like 5 strand barbed wire fence. Yup, and she spun it so it was scratched deep all the way around.

·
More for Less Racer
19,500 Posts
I've seen silver GM's and silver Dodge vehicles from that same time period with sheet peeling paint. Dodges were usually hoods on trucks and cars, plus trunk lids on cars.

Dodge seemed to have a much bigger problem with it that GM did, at least in my area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts