Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i`ve been asked by a friend to replace the engine in a 2000 towncar(4.6) which he has destroyed by running without oil ! he has bought a 1996 towncar engine to go in as he has been assured it`s the same :rolleyes:!! does anyone have any thoughts ? what will need swapping off the old engine onto this to enable it to run ?

·
www.generationhighoutput. com
897 Posts
They're not identical, the 96 has a more restricted set of heads and intake with smaller cams. The valve covers may have different bolt patterns. Other than these minor things the engines should interchange with little if any issues, and the stock ECM from the 2000 should control it without issue.

Your friend might want to hold on to his intake plenum, throttle body and intake air tract for the swap. The 96 engine might not be from a town car (the 96 engines all were identical no matter what they were going in or what they were rated at from the intake manifold down) and these items on the 96 engine may not swap over depending on exactly what vehicle it came from.

EDIT: I just checked and the base model Towncars from 2000 held on to the old NPI 2v engine a lot longer than I thought. Your car's engine may be identical to the 96, as long as it wasn't a Cartier or Touring Edition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.