Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent $150. for diagnostic and a AC charge with the news that the AC compressor is leaking, price tag $800. 3 years ago I had an AC shop charged me $500 to repair the compressor. Can over the counter AC stop leak, works?

Why is it that you can purchase a S10 compressor for under $200 and they want to charge you $800? With the economy the way it is, you think mechanics would give customers a break.

·
Administrator
8,458 Posts
Ramon50 said:
I just spent $150. for diagnostic and a AC charge with the news that the AC compressor is leaking, price tag $800. 3 years ago I had an AC shop charged me $500 to repair the compressor. Can over the counter AC stop leak, works?

Why is it that you can purchase a S10 compressor for under $200 and they want to charge you $800? With the economy the way it is, you think mechanics would give customers a break.
If you put in stop leak, it may work.BUT any shop that you take it to after that wont work on it as it will plug the filters in the reclaiming equiptment.Most shops have a refrigerant analyzer that will detect drop in gasses, contaminated freon, more than one kind of freon, and STOP LEAK.

Also if the system is ever "opened up" for a repair, the stop leak will solidify when air hits it and it can cause blockages.
Those compressors are pretty well known for leaking at the seams,real common.
As far as a "Break"...it pays to shop around.Price depends on a few things.
1 new compressors from delphi are pricier than new aftermarket brands
2 shop rates vary widely depending on geographic location
3 most reputable shops want to replace the reciever as part of the repair as it removes contaminants from the system and many "new" compressors require one to be replaced to keep the warranty intact.
4 a liquid line or orifice tube and system flush is usually required to keep warranty intact.
All these things have a cost. Get an estimate for what it is that you need.
A compressor that leaks and works well with the system should only require a compressor replacement,a receiver dryer replacement and a orifice tube replacement, along with assorted O rings, and an evacuation/recharge to ork well again for years to come.
The " break" will come about when you realize what it takes to repair your system properly, and how much you are charged, verses how many times you pay to get it fixed after you have had it worked on and payed for that too.
The shop that fixed the compressor for 500 bucks sounds like a place to consider going back to. It worked for 3 years,they must have done something right.Probably isnt their fault that the compressor started leaking again either.
Maybe they used a 200 dollar compressor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the valuable information. I feel so much better knowing all the work that it takes to replace an AC compressor to do the job right.

I belong to several different web forums, and have notice that cost is higher in just about everything in So California. For example I need a new roof and received several bids that were way out of my range, a relative that lives in the east coast, had a roof done, almost the same SF and exact material & similar house style and paid almost half of my lowest bid and he is very happy with the results.

Thanks again for your help, I am so glad I found hot rod forum.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Just to add to LATECH's comments:
Like many car repairs, there is the "quick and dirty" repair, and there is the "do it right" repair.

Quick and dirty for a compressor leak - evacuate and recover the refrigerant, replace the compressor, vacuum the system to remove moisture, recharge to the correct level of refrigerant and lubricant, check for leaks.

Do it right - evacuate and recover the refrigerant, remove the orifice tube and receiver dryer, flush the system completely to remove contamination, replace with new compressor, orifice tube and receiver dryer, vacuum the system to remove moisture, recharge to the correct level of refrigerant and lubricant, check for leaks.

There are cases where the quick and dirty replacement might work fine and get you several more years of service. However, in the long run its better to bite the bullet and have them do it right. I would just make sure you verify what you are getting for $800. A bad shop might charge you for the full repair but try to get by with several shortcuts.

Also be prepared for them to find other expensive items to replace. My Ford Expedition used a single part line set (both suction and discharge) to the compressor and the retail on the part was over $400. The cheapest I found it aftermarket was about $225.

Bruce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.