Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay So I have this 2001 chrysler LHS v6. When I was driving I was on my way to an auto parts store and there parking lot has a really steep dip before going into it. So I turn my wheel and try to slowly pull into the parking lot. When I get to the dip and it is time for my car to climb the dip, it completely loses all power. I try giving it a little more gas and nothing, the engine revs and RPM rises but no movement. After a few secs the car starts to drive again and only far enough where I can pull it into a parking space. After in the parking space, I put the car in all gears, D,R,L,3 and they all behaved the same. The car goes forward, Or backwards in reverse case, about an inch and then no more movement. In After I got up into the parking spot I noticed once that it kind of sounded like a grinding noise while the car was in drive with the little inch forward. So I got my car towed and checked the brakes, and calipers to see if it was seized. I checked the transmission fluid and it looked good and didn’t smelled burnt but for some reason the fluid seems to be well over what it is supposed to be but I know this is not the case because I have had my car for about two years since I bought it and I checked the fluid and it was at an acceptable level. I Never added anymore trans fluid to it. I also check the diff and with both tires up, one spins one way and the other in the opposite direction. I can also feel the car change gear selection when I go from drive to reverse and so on. With the front tires up off the ground, there is no creep in the transmission and the wheels only move an inch in whatever gear I put it in. Any Ideas on what this could be? Oh and before all this, I had a check engine code P0740 Torque converter clutch circuit but I put it off as I had school and work and not much time.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,148 Posts
I owned a 1999 LHS. I loved that car. it drove so sweet and rode like a luxury car and was impressively fast with that V6.

I was driving when my heater and air conditioning stopped working. I noticed shortly later I was not getting into top gear. I took it in to the shop and it turned out the ECU needed to be re flashed. strangest thing but I got it back and was good as new.

Maybe you are having a ecu problem. Look into all the codes there may be something related.

I hope you get it fixed the LHS is one thing I think Chrysler did right!:cool:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Anyway i look at it, it does not look good.
Your filter could be plugged up with clutch material and since your check engine light is always on you missed the new codes or thought its just the convertor clutch code.
Now, you have a convertor code...
It has the word circuit, but i believe that code will throw if all parameters are met, but the clutch will not apply, or lock.

If the Lock-Up Clutch lining fell apart, you may also find it in your filter... hairy green or dark red looking clumps of fuzzy stuff.
You may also find the cooler is plugged and the planets are melted.

Easiest way to tell is to pull the output speed sensor. If there is a pile of metal stuck to the end, you know its gotta come out.

Same goes for a plugged filter.

No electronic malfunction will give you nothing.
Limp mode is Reverse and second gear. Your not even getting that.

Stripped turbine splines in the convertor is not common and unlikely, but a scanner may tell you the filters plugged by throwing a "loss of prime" code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I tried to drop the pan but idk if my eyes are starting to fail me of old age, 23 years old, but I couldn't find a drain plug for the trans pan. Good idea, I will take a look at the speed sensor and keep you guys update.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts