Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a 4.7 H.O. (High Output) VIN J engine. I Blew a head gasket. During the repair, I found a little bit of black stuff coming from the rubber ring in my harmonic balancer. I suspect it was about to fail. In trying to get a new one ( part #53021410AA), I found that this part had been discontinued and a nationwide dealer search revealed that nobody had one. It has been recommended to me to use a balancer made for the non-H.O. engine ( VIN N). However, this balancer( part # 53020689AB) is one whole pound lighter. It weighs in at 10 pounds total weight. My original weighs 11 pounds total. I have been told the non-HO engine has a cast crank and my HO engine has a forged crank as the reason for the difference. I have found a very similar balancer from a 2008 4.7 HO , but it weighs in at 14.5 pounds. Design wise this balancer would work. My question is would it be better to go with a heavier balancer than a slightly lighter one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.