Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have decided to try and build a 200-4R transmission. This will be my first automatic rebuild. So far I have purchased an ATSG manual and a technical video on the rebuild. This transmission will be installed in a 1964 Chevelle with a mild 400 small block. The engine is making approx. 350HP and 400 ft.lbs of torque. The car won't be raced and will not be getting much abuse. I would like the trans to have nice firm shifts and be very reliable. I don't mind spending the bucks for parts, but don't really want to go with alot of overkill on this. What parts/modifications (clutches, servo, hard parts, valve body kit, etc) would you recommend for this transmission? Also, it looks like I can either improvise/make most of the special tools required. What special tools are a "must have" for this job?

I appreciate any recommendations you can provide.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
9,050 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BOBCRMAN,
Thanks for the input. I didn't realize these were so difficult. Maybe I should rethink my decision. I thought that if I had enough info it could be done. I am still considering giving it a try though. I am starting with a fully operational 2004R from a 1986 Monte Carlo SS.
If I do decide to stick with it can anyone provide the info requested earlier. And, if anyone with no transmission experience has rebuilt their own would you please comment on how your rebuild went.

Thanks again for any insight you can provide.
Mike

·
Registered
379 Posts
the 2004r does require a special tool (unique to that tranny) to remove the low reverse input drum! pick up a haynes manual rebuilding GM automatic transmisions at your local autoparts store! good luck!

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
ronb said:
the 2004r does require a special tool (unique to that tranny) to remove the low reverse input drum! pick up a haynes manual rebuilding GM automatic transmisions at your local autoparts store! good luck!
there is a tool that makes things waaay easier to remove & install the center support

·
Registered
427 Posts
On the other hand if you decide to rebuild it yourself and it works the rest of life will be a real snap.
Even if it doesn't, just look at the experience you will have gained.
Read very carefully before attempting this transmission.
Then if you decide to do it there are many on this board who will assist you.
Myself included.:thumbup:

·
Registered
724 Posts
lamothe1 said:
Keep your work area VERY clean and as you remove parts lay them out in order and take note of which side of thrust washers goes to item it is against, it's easy to get them in backwards:rolleyes:
I couldn't agree more...keeping everything in order will save you more head aches than you can imagine. Its all to easy to get over zelous and madly pull the guts on and finish up with a pile of mixed up parts. I was guilty of this more than anyone with the first few trannies I did, thank got I was fortunatly enough to be working with a very skilled tranny guy that could get me out of the mess

·
Registered
605 Posts
Another method is to stack the parts as you pull them out in the converter.

The whole main drive will be stacked in order, you can clean one subcomponent at a time, reassemble, re-install, and then move on to the next subcomponent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Sorry I've taken so long to reply, we've been out of town for the holidays. After reviewing the ATSG manual and other technical articles etc. I've decided to try the rebuild. Like stu stated, it will be experience gained. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get my parts together and get started but I look forward to it. I will probably be asking some questions during the build and will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks again for all the input and ideas.
Mike

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mike,
I get alot of parts from www.bulkpart.com

Very good prices, pretty good selection, etc..

Another vendor I've used, usually for specialty parts but he will also provide excellent tech support is Chris at www.CKPerformance.com

He told me he could match or beat the bulkpart price on a complete kit....

I've also used Transtar before.

Good luck...

I have the 4L60-E out of my wifes ride at the moment...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the tip on bulkpart.com Jake. It looks like they have some good prices on their stuff. Also, that is a great write up on the inner workings of the 2004R that you did. A picture is worth a thousand words! I had planned on taking digital pictures along with detailed notes during disassembly. Hopefully, the pics along with the ATSG manual and all the help from yourself, and all the other experienced transmission guys on the board, I will have a successful rebuild. On another note, I have already purchased the video on rebuilding the 2004R and think it is an excellent source of info for the first timer.

Thanks to all for the tips, words of encouragement, and advice. I appreciate everyones willingness to help with my project.
Mike

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
FYI ; for the regular members here..... although a new member here, jakeshoe knows his stuff.

we have bantered back and forth on other forums where I wonder in as Crosley or Yelsorc ( crosley - backwards).

Tony

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the offer to help stu.
I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get. A have a feeling with guys like yourself, Crosley, jakeshoe and the other knowledgeable tranny guys on the board, this build will go great.
I've been doing a lot of research regarding this build lately. It seems there is a lot of information out there from the Turbo Buick guys as they have been building these for years. I haven't ordered any parts yet (still researching the best clutches,steels, band etc to use) but so far looks like I will be using the Alto Red Eagle frictions and band with Kolene steels, hardened stator, and of course new bushings, washers, bearings, sprags and so on. I am still a little confused on the pump. Some say that I can install a 10 or 13 vane pump kit myself and others say no. Do any of you guys have an opinion on this? I have also seen conflicting opinions on the valve body kits/mods. Everyone seems to like a different combination of valve body kit, servo, boost valve, accumulator mods and so on depending on the way they like thier tranny to shift and feel. Again, any opinions on this? I'd like firm but not neck breaking shifts.

Thanks again to all, for your help and support.
Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
You are correct on the parts selected.
You can install a 10 or 13 vane kit with no problems.
You can't go wrong with a TransGo stage 2 shift kit.
The shifts are firm but don't tear your shorts off.
It's too early for this but above all pay attention to the throttle cable adjustment.
Follow the shift kit to the letter.
In fact before you start any assembly take the shift kit info sheet and read it carefully. Commit it to memory.

You should be ok.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.