Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 56 wagon about two years ago. 200r4 trans behind a crate 350. Has correct tv adapter mounted on carb so that trans shifts into all four gears, which it does. However, nothing electrical hooked up to transmission. Is there a way to determine if it has a lockup converter or perhaps some prior owner installed a nonlock converter. Individual I purchased wagon from had it for over three years with no problems, but did not know anything about the transmission. Both of us have driven the wagon on the highways for over three hours at a time with no problems. Everything works fine, but I am interested in installing a tripower set up. Purchased tv cable system from Bowtie, but after reading their installation procedure and the importance of setting up the transmission correctly, I am concerned with what I really have. I talked to a local transmission shop and they stated that in the 80's many people disconnected the electrical part of the 200r4 tranny so that it would not keep going in and out of gear. He called it hunting for the correct gear. I like attending some of the popular NSRA and Goodguy events and that usually means over three hours of driving time. Not interested in having problems on the highway. Since I am interested in reliability more than anything else, perhaps I should just change over to a 350 transmission. I have used them over the years in previous street rods that I have owned and have never had a problem. Any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
It's not difficult to determine if it has a Lockup TC.
You can wire 12V+ to Pin-A and -Ground to Pin-D on the Tran's electrical connector plug, use a Toggle switch etc.. You should here the Solenoid click, also test drive it and flip the Toggle to see if the TCC locks.
http://www.hughesperformance.com/pdfs/HP700-R4.pdf

The BTO's TV Made Easy kit has detailed instructions and is a very nice kit.

There are dozens of TCC Lockup kits available, $20-$200.
Out of the more expensive kits I prefer B&M's kit, it's adjustable by speed from 30-90mph.
B&M 70244 - B&M Converter Lockup Controls - Overview - SummitRacing.com

If the TCC doesn't lock by testing, it probably has a Non-Lockup TC installed.
This is done by swapping the TCC Apply Valve under the TCC Solenoid to a Non-Lockup Valve/Plug and using a Non-Lock TC. The Non-Lock Valve corrects the lube flow path to prevent overheating.
TransGo Performance 7-CCV - TransGo Torque Converter Conversion Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It's not recommended to run the 200-4R for long periods with the TCC unlocked. It can cause overheating.

If your Trans doesn't have the external Plug connector you may need this.
http://www.repairconnector.com/products/GM-Transmission-Converter-Clutch-Pigtail-Connector.html

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
It looks like the kit offered by B&M is activated by speed alone.
I'm wondering if a vacuum-switch operated one would be better or worse?
I suppose it might be the vacuum style that causes the "hunting" scenario described, but it *must* be better in a "lugging" scenario like pulling up a long hill in OD with a locked convertor?

Painless #60110

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
It depends on the Engine's vacuum. There're 2 different Adjustable Vac switches available, 1"-6" & 6"-20" so it's possible to get it set where it works correctly. You could also add one to the B&M kit if wanted. I haven't found a need for one myself, it has an On/Off switch. If you live in hilly/mountainous terrain the Vac. Switch would be a good option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.