Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the 200R4 into the '72 El Camino and everything else glued together enough to get it into storage for the winter. I adjusted the TV cable and it shifted passably.

But, I'd like to set it correctly next spring. I have a trans oil pressure gauge, but must admit that I've never used it.

I need some help with the procedure and the optimum pressure levels.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at that site. Not much help there.

·
Registered
685 Posts
2004R pressure Test

Did you purchase this trans from Bow Tie?

They have specific procedures[for pressure test]that you must perform before you drive the vehicle.

If you did buy this trans from them,if you call them they will go thru the procedure with you.

What they expect to see on a gauge may not apply to your trans,if it is not a Bow Tie.

I have never set a 2004R tv cable with a gauge,rather I would drive vehicle to check shift points,and firmness of shifts. However I am a big fan of the pressure gauge.

In park and neutral,and drive,engine warm 1000-1200 rpm[pick one stick with it thru all test] You should see about 70 psi[with stock pr spring].Bow Tie readings may be much higher,depending on application.

Pull cable to max tv, pressure needs to go up to about 150psi.

Reverse @ 1200rpm-min tv-120psi. Pull cable to max tv,you need at least 250 psi. But may be as high as 300psi.

In manual low or 2,pressure should be about 140 to 150,minimum or max tv.

These pressure readings may vary depending on what has been done to your trans.Trans fluid thins out and pressure drops when fluid is very hot. Also the stiffer the pressure regulator spring,the higher the static pressure will be.

Again if this is a Bow Tie trans you should call them.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
529 Posts
When I said "Check with Bowtie Overdrives" I meant Talk to them. I just listed the website as a means of contacting them.

I bought one of their 2004R transmissions and it tested out good by their standards by adjusting the TV cable by their instructions. I don't remember the pressure readings, but as briscoe said they might be different if you don't have one of their transmissions.

I know that BTO uses a different spring & plunger than others and it probably affects the pressures.
JA

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is just a stock trans. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts