Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 2010 RS Camaro a couple of days ago and loved it! It had a V6. One thing I noticed was that when you stopped at a red light or something it smoked pretty bad. Bad enough that you could see it really well in the mirror. It was coming out of the passenger side tail pipe only. ANy ideas on what this could have been?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wow blowing smoke in a brand new car? Maybe some condensation was still in the exhaust piping. Still though you wouldnt see it. Has to be oil. Man just get the one with the LS motor. Look at it this way, if you are taking blood from one arm you might as well take it from both. Just get the 6.2 liter. Way more balls.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Before you ever buy another vehicle, just remember, anything that has wheels and tires eventually depreciates to ZERO. Enjoy your payments......and interest......and depreciation.....and taxes.....and license fees.....and smog tests.....and repairs.....etc.,etc. :thumbup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scapegoat said:
Wow blowing smoke in a brand new car? Maybe some condensation was still in the exhaust piping. Still though you wouldnt see it. Has to be oil. Man just get the one with the LS motor. Look at it this way, if you are taking blood from one arm you might as well take it from both. Just get the 6.2 liter. Way more balls.

I had drove it for 20 minutes. I think the condensation would've been gone already.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
techinspector1 said:
Before you ever buy another vehicle, just remember, anything that has wheels and tires eventually depreciates to ZERO. Enjoy your payments......and interest......and depreciation.....and taxes.....and license fees.....and smog tests.....and repairs.....etc.,etc. :thumbup:

you said it !! i have never and will never own a new vehicle

waste of $

totally.

i will keep my 200k miles 91 s-10 pickup until it ever possibly blows up, just like ive kept all the rest of the vehicles in the past

easy to work on, cheap parts., reliable always. never stranded, no payments, no wories about dents or scratches. dirt cheap insurance, no taxes,

ppl who buy new or almost new are not smart imho.

let those dummies buy the new garbage. :pimp:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
techinspector1 said:
Nothing against the people buying the Camaros new, but I hope that the depreciation for them is rather quick.....I want one :p
Shane

·
Registered
661 Posts
Depreciation is a Bee-aach. We looked at a brand new 07 Charger almost $35,000 bought an '06 and saved over 12G's. I did buy my Night Train brand new but I'll never do that again.

IMO Government Motors got the whole concept wrong again, just like all the big 3. Put the big engine in a stripped down base model and keep it under 25,000. Wait a couple of years and maybe we can afford one, or be willing to pay for one for that matter.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
new cars are nice in that they require no work, so a person can fool around on their "fun car."

If you want a really cool car get one of those old belly racers- those are HARD to find.

BTW a few weeks ago I bought my second RUNNING car ever, a '78 Bobcat. It had a really bad fuel pump though and would barely run so I don't think it should count. :mwink:

My first car also ran when I got it, but it got a new engine in 3 months anyway.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
fast68 said:
you said it !! i have never and will never own a new vehicle

waste of $ totally.

i will keep my 200k miles 91 s-10 pickup until it ever possibly blows up, just like ive kept all the rest of the vehicles in the past

ppl who buy new or almost new are not smart imho.

let those dummies buy the new garbage. :pimp:
This is kind of a blanket statment.
I duuno, but I bought my 79 Chev C-10 in Feb 79, and it is still in my driveway.
So---Aug 2005 rolls around and I buy another new pickup----should have it for at least 20yrs, and by that time it will have paid for itself.

My new 94 T-Bird went 15 yrs and a teen girl----I did not lose a dime on that car either.

People that just have to have a new car every couple years, but cannot really afford it are the ones with the issues.

I have one car payment, that will go away soon, and will not have another payment for years.

How many here have payments on 10-15yo cars----probably more than a few.

·
Registered
15,332 Posts
savman1 said:
I test drove a 2010 RS Camaro a couple of days ago and loved it! It had a V6. One thing I noticed was that when you stopped at a red light or something it smoked pretty bad. Bad enough that you could see it really well in the mirror. It was coming out of the passenger side tail pipe only. ANy ideas on what this could have been?
Today's cars, like airplanes, like OSHA safety standards are the result of what happens when the government gets involved with design. Way too much complication for the job at hand resulting in too much cost, too little reliability, and too much "what the hell is that for?".

For the Camaro, it sounds like more of Detroit's quality problems re smoke out the exhaust. The fact is American companies cannot compete with the massive government support poured into foreign companies by their governments. The latest to slide under the headlines is the EU is going to put 9 billion of their taxpayer euro-dollars into Airbus for the design/development of the A350 to compete with the Boeing 787. This also translates into automotive subsidies, electronics, watercraft, motorcycles, clothes, tires, tools, and on and on goes the list. Meanwhile the American manufactures are left to find a way to compete in a "free" market; there's no way it can be done. Your test drive is the result.

We're way past the point where we need to think about America Inc and start using subsidies (I'm sorry, actually never paid back government loans) to support our businesses and industry. Meeting Europe, Japan, India, China, and Korea on their playing field with our personal levels of output, I have no doubt we would smoke their industries.

Bogie

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
oldbogie said:
Today's cars, like airplanes, like OSHA safety standards are the result of what happens when the government gets involved with design. Way too much complication for the job at hand resulting in too much cost, too little reliability, and too much "what the hell is that for?".

For the Camaro, it sounds like more of Detroit's quality problems re smoke out the exhaust. The fact is American companies cannot compete with the massive government support poured into foreign companies by their governments. The latest to slide under the headlines is the EU is going to put 9 billion of their taxpayer euro-dollars into Airbus for the design/development of the A350 to compete with the Boeing 787. This also translates into automotive subsidies, electronics, watercraft, motorcycles, clothes, tires, tools, and on and on goes the list. Meanwhile the American manufactures are left to find a way to compete in a "free" market; there's no way it can be done. Your test drive is the result.

We're way past the point where we need to think about America Inc and start using subsidies (I'm sorry, actually never paid back government loans) to support our businesses and industry. Meeting Europe, Japan, India, China, and Korea on their playing field with our personal levels of output, I have no doubt we would smoke their industries.

Bogie

Or just increase tariffs... that's a much easier appraoch. If companies want to farm out work- fine, but tax the hell out of it not only to encourage them to keep it here but to also pay for legitimate tax spending- if there is any of it left.

·
Registered
15,332 Posts
454 Rattler said:
15 posts later and no-one addressed the original question. Can someone help answer the question for him ?

454 RATTLER
White smoke = coolant

Blue smoke = oil

Black smoke = fuel

Given the input that's about as good as it gets, there's lots of causes for each basic color of smoke.

Bogie

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
We know nothing about the car. Did some yahoo dealership porter break something hotdogging it pulling the car off the truck?

The V-6 in the Camaro is the same one that's gotten rave reviews in the new CTS for the last three years. The V-8 is an LS-2, anybody here gonna trash that engine? He could very well have seen the smoke from the protective coating on the new exhaust system burning off. Who knows? Who cares?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The V8 is actually an LS3 in front of a manual transmission and makes [email protected] and 420lb/ft [email protected] and uses AFM(active fueling management-renamed DOD or displacement on demand).

The V8 in front of the six speed automatic transmission is called the L99 and makes [email protected] and 410lb/ft [email protected], has a bit smaller cam, and doesnt have AFM.

Both are 6.2L of displacement.

peace
Hog

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.