Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED SOME HELP!!!! LOL i have an 82 model dodge ram truck that has a 203 transfer case. i need to know the range positions cause i dont think the shifter knob is correct. i had someone tell me that it is full time four wheel drive but it seems like it only has 3 or 4 selections. when i unlock my hubs and try too find 4 hi or 2hi i can find it but when i take off it pops out of gear and im just sitting there not able to move, but when i lock in the hubs and leave it in 2hi or 4hi it takes off. im not smart when it comes to 4wheel drive's so someone please help!!!!! lol

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
The shift pattern from front to rear on a 203 is:
4 low lock, 4 low open, neutral, 4 hi open, 4 hi lock, the lock settings are for the differential in thye transfer case. You can adjust the shift lever and rods if you are out of adjustment, not too difficult.

If it IS a 203 full time, you will NOT find a 2wd setting on the shifter.

Full time NP203 transfer cases NEVER came with locking hubs, solid machined gears and grease caps, nothing to turn because it was locked in all the time.

If you have hubs and do NOT have the part time conversion kit installed, unlocking the hubs and not locking the transfer case differential with the shifter, will spin the disengaged front driveline- and you won't go anywhere.
Same thing if you lose either driveshaft, an axleshaft, or hub- the t-case diif will need locked in to move.

If you have the part-time kit in the transfer case, the shifter will have the same settings as a 205, and you will be able to drive it with the hubs disengaged.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.