Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm building a 383 stroker for my camaro, forged rods crank and pistons. its going to be a weekend driver and a couple of runs at the track. IM not sure on my top end setup yet, but i could get a set of 210cc heads with 2.05 and 1.60 vavles. Do you think that 210 cc runners would be too much? im looking for high rpm power but dont want to sacrafice too much low end. i have a muncie 4spd and 4.10 gears. If you think these heads would work good, can you give me a intake cam and carb setup, for the cam i was thinking comp cams 274/292, Lift .487/.501 or 284/305, Lift .507/.525. Thanks for your help

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
I'm more used to dealing with @50 numbers, but I think that combo would be kinda on the edge. I wouldn't go to 210s until most of my driving was at the track. Especially since companies like AFR can give you way more flow than you need out of 190 or 195cc.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
I like the 2.02 better on a 4.030" bore. You'll probably actually improve power that way. The 2.05 gets really close to the walls and gives up flow in many situations.

What's your power/rpm goal?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
With 4.10's and a 4 speed, 210cc heads would be right at home. I hope that is a solid cam you have picked out? If so, perfect. 210cc heads are not too big for a "healthy" 383. Your RPM range with teh rear gears, will be perfect. I would agree with Curtis if you were putting the engine in a heavy car with and automatic and a small cam but, in this case you can use the larger heads with no ill effects and gain more top end. I have run 215cc heads on several of my last 383's and never a regret. It's all about the combo and for yours the heads will be fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rpm goal is around 6500 to 7000, and power...well as much as i can get with out a blower, and on pump gas(91 octane) so probably going to shoot for around 10.0 or 10:5.1 cr.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
camaroman7d said:
With 4.10's and a 4 speed, 210cc heads would be right at home. I hope that is a solid cam you have picked out? If so, perfect. 210cc heads are not too big for a "healthy" 383. Your RPM range with teh rear gears, will be perfect. I would agree with Curtis if you were putting the engine in a heavy car with and automatic and a small cam but, in this case you can use the larger heads with no ill effects and gain more top end. I have run 215cc heads on several of my last 383's and never a regret. It's all about the combo and for yours the heads will be fine.
yes, it is a solid cam.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
If you were going to use a 210cc head, I would model it close to the motors in the article below. It is important that you match your parts. According to AFR, their 210cc heads are recommended for 3000-7500 RPM in a 350-400 cid motor. If you get a cam/intake/carb/exhaust system that will also want to make power in that range, you will be on the right track. In the article below, they used a dual plane intake which I think was a mistake for this motor. I beleive that with a victor jr either of these motors would have made power to 6500+ RPM.

AFR 210cc
http://www.airflowresearch.com/210sbc_rh.php

Article
http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article072/A-P1.htm

Adam

·
Flamethrower
339 Posts
You weren't necessarily wrong, just a different kind of set up. I have mulled over the 210 cc debate for my 383 for quite awhile. I built the motor to do one thing, build torque. I would personally be inclined to use the 195 cc AFR's on my 383 in my El Camino. That head would be a lot more breatheable on the top then what I have and produce tons of torque on the bottom. My combo is similar to the one in this thread (9.8:1 compression .498 int .507exh. lift 227/232 duration at .050) but I have an Edelbrock performer manifold (kinda small for the motor but it's what I had at the time and I am not feeling rich enough to change it) and an Edelbrock 1910 carb (850 cfm Q-jet). It spins to 5500 and then next gear. Torquey but obviously limited by the 156cc runners of the old Camelbacks I have on there now (it's like breathing through a straw) coupled with the performer manifold. Given proper gearing and those 195 cc heads, I'm sure I could take my car high 12's. As it is with 3.73's it should go mid 13's (currently low 15's on 3.08's).

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Your cam seems to be very one sided (a lot of exhaust duration). Why do you need a cam like that? supercharger, n20, stock exhaust manifolds???

To make power out to 6500 rpms you will cam a cam with around 240 degrees duration at 0.050" on the intake. A cam this size could burn 91 octane with a 10.0:1 cr iron head engine or 10.5:1 in alum. Your 4 speed and 4.11 also helps reduce detonation by reducing the load.

I would use the performer rpm intake. It will make power to 6500 and a little more if need be. I use on with a 3.90 gear and 5 spd and shift at 7000 rpm with a compcam 292H cam and 200cc heads on a 350. I tried a single plane and it loss low to mid range torque so I when back to the RPM intake. I would also use the regular rpm intake (not air gap) if you live in a cooler area and plan to drive it in the winter.

I would use a 750 holley vacuum secondary 3310. Not the best daily driver street carb ever made but really shines as a weekend and track carb. However, I use the 3310 as a daily driver without any issues, but a Q-jet would give better mpg and better part throttle fuel control.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Curtis,
You were not wrong at all. Just depends on the combo. For a milder combo or a heavier car I would totally agree with you.

Firestone I see you are still pushing the AFR heads, LOL.

I won't go deep into the carb deal but, a mechanical secondary carb would be my choice for a car with the heads in question along with a manual tranny and 4.11's. The car is also not heavy.

You really need to figure out your goals and build a combo that will get you there.

I try to stay away from cam and carb suggestions.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
Yeah, I have made attempts to try to point out the benefits of other heads, but especially now with AFR having come out the the new eliminator heads for the same price, I cant help myself.

Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts