Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to a new home and have an air compressor that runs on 220V. The 220V plug on the compressor is a 20amp style plug. The electrical panel is about 10 ft away from where I want the outlet to be. I don't mess with electrical, but I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what it would cost to have a line run. I have all the material. I know I live in CA so it's more, just like everything else. I had a quote from an electrical company for $450. Does this sound right? or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I needed a 220 outlet in my garage to run a welder. I called around and most people wanted in the 400 dollar range to run a 220 line from the electrical panel about 15 feet away. I finally found a guy (professional licensed electrician, not a handyman) that was willing to do it for a bit over 200. I opted to have a second outlet put in for a few bucks more. So your estimate is on par with most of the estimates I got, but still too much I think, especially if you are providing supplies. I'd keep calling around you might get it cheaper. It's a tough job market out there and I know electrician who can't find much work. I'd let them know what you want to pay and you might get a bite. It only took about a couple of hours and that included a run to Home Depot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
kleen56 said:
I recently moved to a new home and have an air compressor that runs on 220V. The 220V plug on the compressor is a 20amp style plug. The electrical panel is about 10 ft away from where I want the outlet to be. I don't mess with electrical, but I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what it would cost to have a line run. I have all the material. I know I live in CA so it's more, just like everything else. I had a quote from an electrical company for $450. Does this sound right? or should I keep looking?
The big questions are what amp service do you have and does your electrical panel have room for a double 20 amp breaker? If you have sufficient service and you have the room it should be a simple procedure of installing a proper receptacle, running 10' of wire and snapping in a 20 amp double breaker. For $450 I have to assume there is some information missing.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
I've done enough of this to know all jobs aren't created equally. Is your service box easily accessible, or is there some cutting involved, stucco, siding, sheet rock, etc? Is the wire going into conduit? Is it indoors or out? Is it a straight shot to the outlet or involve a lot of bends? if it were to be done in an unfinished garage, no obstacles, straight run, about $100. Throw in the obstacles and you're adding time. A good electrician will figure about $100 an hour for his labor. A good do-it-yourself-handyman will probably get $25-$50 an hour. Check out the thrifty nickel kind of newspapers. and like Heyjude says, can you make all this work with your present box? It's not a terribly difficult job for a handy kind of guy, I'd say around $200 max should get the job done, labor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.