Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally decided to get my 23T project on the road. I started this in Aug of 2001. I didn't have the money, tools, or skills to build it quickly. Every couple years I get it out and do some work on it. My church is having a car show the day before my 40th birthday. They asked me to bring some cars. I can't think of anything I'd rather have for my birthday than to have this car on the road. I have until Sep 13th. It won't be painted. Just driving. Some of the first welds I ever made were on this. I plan to drive it a bit to see which ones break before I paint anything. Here's the to do list.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
One of the coolest modified T's I have seen. The quad turbos and headers are out of this world and really make the car. The chopped top is cool too and something you rarely see on an open car.

Do you have any good pictures you could post?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bolt holding the quarter elliptic in place had failed. We removed the spring from the frame rail to inspect the damage. I replaced the bolt and nut with grade 8 pieces but may have to step up the size when we get it on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just doesn't look quite as evil without the motor. I've really let my not running to running ratio get way out of hand. Five don't run. Four do. Three of the five could run and drive over a very busy weekend. The motor for the T runs but it's not in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything is back in. Barely. I really would like to have a bigger garage. I put it on this cart I have that's made for moving and unwinding spools. We'll see how it works. The next thing to do is take the motor off the dyno in my shed so I can mount the scavenge pump for the lower turbos. I could get about half a mile before it would start dumping oil out of them before. It would idle fine but as soon as I'd start driving the pump I had before couldn't keep up. I also want to decide if I'm going to do one or two four barrel throttle bodies in a plexi windowed box. One is more than enough but they look really good in pairs. I also want to plumb the turbos and buy intercoolers. If you look at my list in the first post, there really aren't a lot of things that I actually need to do to drive it.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
One of the coolest modified T's I have seen. The quad turbos and headers are out of this world and really make the car. The chopped top is cool too and something you rarely see on an open car.

Do you have any good pictures you could post?
Thanks 64. Pics will be forthcoming as long as I don't get distracted by another project. Here's an old video of the first time I fired it. The intake belongs to my Chevelle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqui9fIw__g&list=PLK6-jMM3QFKJDQmE7Mu8-1_q7MPVXbxZm

Kevin

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
Yeah, I dig it! :thumbup:

Brian

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One day in and something else is demanding attention. It's completely right foot inflicted but I lost a piston, ring or both in my daily driven turbo 302 Ranger. I took a break this evening to find the horrendous leak in my '59 Apache. I'll be driving it for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTNcrFKPzfs

Kevin

·
Banned
2,440 Posts
Well i am glad you pulled this out to work on!! That ride is Bit%%ing!! And with the turbo's it is timeless & up to date at the same time.

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
803 Posts
Wicked looking T. :thumbup:

Not sure how tall a fella you are but coming from one T roadster owner to another.... can you actually sit in the car and drive it with the roof on?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm basically seated in the fetal position with my elbows between my knees. It's not going to be something that can be comfortably driven very far. I actually have about 5" of head room though. The problem is seeing out the windshield. Visibility is great with the roof off but it really adds to the look of the car.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most of the fabrication on this car was done over ten years ago. All I had was a MIG, chop saw, jigsaw, and an angle grinder. I really enjoy making things by hand but today I used my machining center to make this flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think this flange is the first thing I made for this car that fit right the first time and I've made everything on this car. How long do you guys think the alternator or belt will survive?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts