Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new guy here. What would be a good carb selection for a 51 chevy with a full pressure 235. I currently have a Rochester monojet that always leaks.

Thanks
Gilbert

·
Registered
69 Posts
carb

gilbert, if you're running a basically stock engine with the original manifold i'd suggest an adapter to run a holley-weber or carter-weber progressive 2 barrel. better performance & mileage. the cost will be about the same as trading your old carb in on a rebuilt 1-barrel. both can be had from stoveboltengineco.com. that's Landon's' stovebolt engine co.
& if you're planning on keeping your 235 ( & you should! ) you should join me & a bunch of other really cool people in the inliners international club. ( inliners.org ) anybody can have a V8!!!:D

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
what carb?

If you want a little better breathing, you could always bolt on a 1 bbl from the Chevy 292 six, as its somewhat bigger, by about 50 CFM.

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
...Or do something bizarre, like i did.

I had a Stromberg WW 2-bbl, on a 5? 235, in my 51 Pickup.

Made the old 1-bbl look like a sick duck.

I even considered an early Varajet. They were 375-395 cfm, more than 100 cfm larger than the biggest Monojet, and a staged, 2-bbl, to boot.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
6 pack to go

When I was in high school, a buddy had a 38 Chevy coupe with a Chevy 292 truck 6 in it. He worked over the intake and put a 2 bbl carb from a 389 Pontiac on it. This was a little more involved than just an adaptor plate. He cut the top off of the plenum box of the intake and brazed on his own plate. With Fenton cast headers and a little porting work, he embarrassed a lot of V-8's 50-100 cubes larger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
carb choice

the 1954-62 261 truck 6 is also a good choice. it's identical to the 235 except for the bore size ( 3 3/4 vs. 3 9/16 ). i've got 2 of them. one's already in my '50 pickup & the other's going in my '50 sport coupe. both will be backed by borg warner T-5 trans.
i've a freind who raced a 235 on the dirt years ago & made alot of guys running V8s' real mad!
nothing sounds as good as one of these eng. I lovem!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts