Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I 'm driving my Suburban (59 with a 235) after finaly getting the engine running smoothly. Today I'm going up a hill and I notice it start to pop a little from the exhaust and lose power. I had to let off the gas to get it to smooth out but it wouldn't run like it should. After barely making it over this hill and the next I pulled into a parking lot, raised the hood to make sure everything was still hooked up right. No obvious problems.
I played with the spark advance and moved the distributor around and the motor sped up and slowed down a little in response. Seemed OK. I get back in and drive the rest of the 18 miles home and it runs normal.
When it was bad I could only give it so much gas w/o it bogging down. The problem seemed more electrical though.
I don't know.
*****Please note: I have just replaced the plugs, wires, points, cap, rotor, condensor, coil, fuel filter and rebuilt the carb.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Float

Doc here:pimp:

Check your fuel float level, sounds like fuel starvation.

Doc :pimp:

·
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!
469 Posts
I've got a 235 in my truck, had the original oil bath air cleaner on it. Well about a 6 weeks ago the oil bath unit got lose and ripped itself off the carb! Luckily this happened in front of my home. The real problem came when I realized as it broke away, the engine sucked down to steel retaining pins! To make a long store short(er) ...I went in and fixed the problem with out major problems. BUT in the process I decided to clean up the head. And once I got things put back together it initially ran great, but soon started back firing and lost power! Come to fine out the lock nuts on the rocker studs (the ones that got cleaned) lost there grip and started to back off! Went to the junk yard and picked up some other rocker arm nut off a small block chevy engine and re-adjusted ...problem went away!
I suggest you re-check the rocker arm adjustment and see if the doesn't take care of things, then just replace the rocker arm nuts that are too loose. My $0.02 anyway ...Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts