Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 52 ford f100 with a 239 cu inch v8 flathead.the engine and the truck in general are in mint condition.but as some of you know,the truck is geared like a tree stump puller.i want to change the rear end and also the tranny to a 4 speed on the floor.right now its a three speed on the column.any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

If your truck is the one in your picture.........Nice Truck !!

I have found that a late 50's and early 60's F100 rear end ( 9 inch Ford ) is almost a bolt in. Your stock wheels will work and there are countless gear ratios available for the 9 inch Ford. :D

NO HELP from me on the transmission interchange..........I always put Chevrolet V8 motors and transmissions in mine.

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
You will have a bit of a time finding the adapter for what you want, but they make all kinds of adapters for quite a few different combinations.
You DO NOT have to use a Ford transmission behind a Ford engine, and the same goes for Chevy, Cadillac flatheads, Chrysler, and Chrysler flatheads.

Street Rodder did an article a while ago and listed many combinations possible but not all, manufacturers are adding things often.

Here's the Street Rodder Web link.

·
Old Crusty Streetrodder
78 Posts
Deuce said:
:D

If your truck is the one in your picture.........Nice Truck !!

I have found that a late 50's and early 60's F100 rear end ( 9 inch Ford ) is almost a bolt in. Your stock wheels will work and there are countless gear ratios available for the 9 inch Ford. :D

NO HELP from me on the transmission interchange..........I always put Chevrolet V8 motors and transmissions in mine.

:thumbup:
I suppose you wouldn't be the person to congratulate me for dropping a sbf into my '39 Chevy...huh. :)

George

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
51Ford said:
I have a 51 Ford 3 speed. 239 ci Flathead V8!

you brought up a thread from 2004.... flathedflynn has not been signed in for over 1 year.

this thread is locked

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.