Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to take a gamble and I bought a complete Cummins engine with a melted piston, not seized up and still running before pulled from the truck, upon inspection I found something I thought was weird, maybe not weird, I just never saw it before, there are pieces of the melted ring in a couple other cylinders, how could this have happened? I will post pictures later of the melted piston and the cylinder it came out of

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Pieces of the ring get blown back into the intake and sucked into adjacent cylinders.. I have seen a lot of this in race motors and even stock engines.

Just last week a 5.7 Hemi came in. Dropped an intake valve seat at freeway speed. Found pieces of piston top and the seat in two other cylinders.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would the pieces get pulled back into the intake? I'm new to this, and I know its possible from what I'm hearing and seeing but it just seems so unlikely to me, I'm guessing the pieces would somehow slip past the intake valve but the intakes only open when air is peing sucked into the cylinder, how does this happen?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts