Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into putting a metal top on my 26 Tudor. Has any one out there done this or have an idea on this? I have heard in passing that a station wagon top could be modified and used but hearing from someone who has first hand knowledge would be great. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It is very difficult to top any T with steel because the tops are so very flat. To overcome this you'll need to fab up some decent and hopefully attractive rolled pans to come up and meet the lid you decide on.Don't forget the station wagon or van roof panel will have a gentle crown to it so don't mash it down flat or you'll kink it . Let it sit down naturally and see how it fits to the sides and back of your Tudor T. Then you can think about how to get it together. You should have bracing from side to side under it replacing the wooden ribs. Use panel board as a spacer between the rinbs and top to prevent squeaks and oilcanning. One option might be to use a 3/4" to 1" sheet metal channel formed to fit around the perimeter of the top then weld the new lid to it, finish nicely and paint.
The transition from the roof to the windshield in front is another sticking point. If you don't use the stock cloth-covered visor you can use a modified 30-31 Model A visor which will round out the front edge nicely.
The deep blank panel above the windshield gives the front of the T an odd appearance without a visor. One solution might be to section the panel to put the top of the windshield glass in line with the door glass openings. Then a filler panel can be made to raise the lower seat of the glass frame to seal assuming you have retained the opening windshield feature of the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I know why the Ts have rag tops. Thanks for the great info. I will see what the local body guy can do for me.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Actually the reason that early cars had cloth-covered top inserts is because the technology and machinery to stamp a one-piece top did not exist at that time. GM introduced the "turret" top in their 35 Master Chevrolet and others. Ford went to the one-piece solid top in 1937.
In the T days the steel structured body of 1926-27 was a great advance. Gm didn't get away from the fully wood-structured body until 1936 in some body styles of Standard series Chevrolets.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
what about adapting top parts from a model A and putting on the T, I think thosw parts are made repro. cut the entire tellephone booth top, windshield and all, off and section and weld on the model A roof on, then a peice of 18 ga can be used as filler, course the doors would need to be fit into the new top, but it would be cool. a 5w '31 couoe top would be perfect.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
home brew said:
bullheadbum's journal shows that it can be done very well and look great!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Your right.....he did an fantastic job on his top.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Matt, the Model A top of the body is not a good one. The bodies are so dimensionally different it would be impractical.
Besides a Model T Tudor is a sedan not a coupe.
All coupes are 2 doors but not all 2doors are coupes. Ford 2door sedans are called Tudors, and Ford 4door sedans are called Fordors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts